Ballast resistor

A

Anonymous

OK...got the 406 fired up!!! cool.gif One problem I noticed right away was smoke coming off the ballast resistor.?? Got so hot it was burning the paint on the firewall..... :shock: Not sure what is going on. Here's what I have....Mallory Unilite with a Accel super coil...thats it. All wiring is from scratch...I wired it up like Mallory suggest....12v source to one side of resistor (12v wire off of + battery side through a switch), other side goes to + side of coil. I pick up the 12v source for distributor on the 12v side of resistor. Other wires from the distributor...one goes to - side of coil and one to ground. I made sure it was a good ground. Motor fires right up but resistor gets hot right away? Any ideas?? Thanks!

ScotSea

Frequent Racer
Sep 21, 2003
Does the super coil need the resistor in addition to the resistance that is in a normal GM ignition wire (non-HEI)? If so, you need to add more resistance because you have too much current running through the coil and resistor. Better figure out how much resistance you need before you run it any more. Something is going to burn up.

Scot

A

Anonymous

ScotSea said:
Does the super coil need the resistor in addition to the resistance that is in a normal GM ignition wire (non-HEI)?

I dont think the Super Coil does...Mallory says you must run it for the Unilite. I think I figured out what I did wrong...or should I say didnt do. First of all I dont have the normal GM wire....wiring from scratch. I did not run a wire from + side of coil down to the solenoid. It allows full 12v through coil while cranking then drops out. I'm pulling full load through ballast resistor right now during cranking.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
whatsup said:
ScotSea said:
Does the super coil need the resistor in addition to the resistance that is in a normal GM ignition wire (non-HEI)?

I dont think the Super Coil does...Mallory says you must run it for the Unilite. I think I figured out what I did wrong...or should I say didnt do. First of all I dont have the normal GM wire....wiring from scratch. I did not run a wire from + side of coil down to the solenoid. It allows full 12v through coil while cranking then drops out. I'm pulling full load through ballast resistor right now during cranking.

That'll do it.

Tommy

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
whatsup said:
I did not run a wire from + side of coil down to the solenoid. It allows full 12v through coil while cranking then drops out. I'm pulling full load through ballast resistor right now during cranking.

That'll do it.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts