Big Block owners

blkwdo

Aug 28, 2015
Michigan
Hey All,

Has anyone, with a BBC in their car, ever tried to remove the oil pan without removing the engine? I've unbolted the engine mounts and lifted the engine as far as possible, but no dice. Does anyone know of any tricks, so I don't have to separate the engine and trans? Looks like I'm going to have to remove the hood, separate the drivetrain and lift the engine....and I don't wanna! LOL

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
If you do have to remove the engine, you don't need to remove the hood. When I replaced the engine in my wagon, I just removed the pivot bolt from the inner fender and used a wooden support to prop the hood open fully.

blkwdo

Aug 28, 2015
Michigan
If you do have to remove the engine, you don't need to remove the hood. When I replaced the engine in my wagon, I just removed the pivot bolt from the inner fender and used a wooden support to prop the hood open fully.
Thanks Marc, but I need to replace the oil pan. I'm trying to replace it without having to fully remove the engine. I only have to remove (or pivot) the hood if I'm forced to lift the engine out of the engine bay.

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
Thanks Marc, but I need to replace the oil pan. I'm trying to replace it without having to fully remove the engine. I only have to remove (or pivot) the hood if I'm forced to lift the engine out of the engine bay.
i made my crossmember smaller so that i could remove the pan.

Bar50

Pro Stocker
Jan 31, 2009
Tulsa, OK
The biggest hurdle I have found in similar situations in that the oil pump and pickup tube assembly and any windage tray in the pan keeps it from being a simple drop back and off/down.

Let us know how it works out.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!