Body Mount Bushings Opinions

Truckedup

Weekend Racer
Dec 15, 2008
Western NY state
I installed Energy Suspension poly bushings in my El Camino recently.The stock bushings were hammered,so the new polys got rid of rattles and the body shaking around over bumps.There's a bit more of road "harshness" coming into the car,not a bad thing if you like a performance ride

A

Anonymous

Truckedup said:
I installed Energy Suspension poly bushings in my El Camino recently.The stock bushings were hammered,so the new polys got rid of rattles and the body shaking around over bumps.There's a bit more of road "harshness" coming into the car,not a bad thing if you like a performance ride

any tips?

Truckedup

Weekend Racer
Dec 15, 2008
Western NY state
Tips on installation? Before ya do anything park on a level surface and take measurements at all four fender wells.After iI did the bushings on mine the body was slightly higher on one side so I had to play with shims.Nice to knw what it is before the mount replacement.
I jacked it up on the rocker panels using a wood block and a single floor jack,very sturdy compared to the thin floor.Do be carefull and a few blocks off wood shoved between the body and frame is good safety.Loosen all bolts,but do one side at the time.All body bolts but the very front have blind nuts.So if they are rusty or won't loosen,don't get too porky and break something.So before you buy mounts get under with a 15mm socket and see if you can loosen the bolts.
One you replace the bushings on one side,lower the body and check to see it's resting evenly on all bushings.I had trouble with the bushing under the center of the door,had to shave the rubber a little bit.
The El Camino might be different than a car.A mount up front of the front tire,one just behind the front tire,one in the middle of the rocker panel,another mount just in front of the rear tire,one over the rear tire with no bolt and two behind the rear tire. The very rear part of the frame is flexy,didn't look right,but tightening the bolts jacked the frame up properly.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the help i have a print out of the cars body mount positions. basically bought the car for the rad support bushings but may as well haul it out now. just worried about boltts that wont come loose.

Truckedup

Weekend Racer
Dec 15, 2008
Western NY state
My vehicle isn't rusty but the mount bolts in the center of the rocker were trouble,like dry siezed.I pulled the carpet back away from sill molding and carefully drilled a 3/8 hole over the bolt.Then I squirted penatrating oil in the hole which by magic got on the bolt and it loosened.
The front bolts support the front clip.Go gently there so you won't put stress on the front and cause a fender to bind on the door.
It's not that hard but a pain in the *ss job if it all goes well will take a day more or less.

A

Anonymous

my whole front clip is off anyway doin a restore thats wht i wanna chNGE MOunts

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts