Can there be too much ARB?

1982 SS

Frequent Racer
Jan 19, 2007
Clearfield, Utah
I'm going through the rear end of my bracket car getting ready to get the parts to swap a 9" in. Currently I have the factory F41 rear sway bar and I plan on stepping up to a weld in ARB, such as one from TRZ or Trick Chassis. I see they can come in sizes from 1-1/4" to 1-5/8" diameter, is there such a thing as too much rear ARB on the back of a drag car? Currently the car goes 1.75 in the 60' at high 12.90's-13.10 @ 103 ish with 4.11's in my time bomb of a 7.5" 10 bolt.

Thanks in advance!

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
I would suggest installing a roll bar or cage in your car if you are installing a weld-in ARB. The rear frame rails are pretty weak and that ARB may hurt them. A roll bar will strengthen the chassis. You may be able to re-inforce the frame rails enough to not need a full roll bar. I'm guessing that most guys installing a serious ARB already have a cage or bar.
Brian

1982 SS

Frequent Racer
Jan 19, 2007
Clearfield, Utah
Good point, I do have an eye toward putting a roll bar in it. I'm looking into how I can run the rear down bars through the back window and avoid cutting a notch into the window channel. Time for more measuring!

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
On the last couple bars I've installed I cut a nice round disc out of 10 gauge steel about 4" in diameter. I weld the disc to the top of the rear spring pockets. Then I have a nice flat spot to weld the rear cage bars. Whether you go through the back seat (shorter, straighter, stronger) or through the rear package tray with the bars is up to you. Depends on if you are keeping the back seat. I've seen some guys run the rear bars to the rear frame rails but the instructions always say to go to the tops of the spring cups.
Brian

1982 SS

Frequent Racer
Jan 19, 2007
Clearfield, Utah
Its an El Camino, I'll probably run them straight from the main hoop to the spring pocket area in a pretty straigt line through the rear window and build a new lexan window with approprite cut outs for the down bars.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!