Clutch switch for controlling launch rpm....

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I'm assuming at least someone has done it, I'm just curious how it worked out for them. By controlling launch rpm I mean a switch is flipped to arm the setup, and when the pedal is pressed rpm is limited to the first limit. When the pedal is released on launch the high-rpm limit kicks in.

kevind

Dragway Regular
Jan 7, 2009
Whitley City KY
I have a MSD box with a 2 step and You can set it and when You release the button it goes back to the high rpm switch. I haven't been using it I just hold at what ever RPM I want with the gas pedal.

80montecarlo

Dragway Regular
Apr 24, 2008
cloverdale b.c. canada
Buddy of mine uses one on him Acura(I know boooooo!!!, but it is a 12sec dd fwd import) but it works great exspecially with 4 wheel line lock and a 2 step. He has his set up to release higher on the clutch pedal so he can ride the clutch and pre load the driveline and not worry about braking anything, and when you release the switch on the steering wheel all hell brakes loose. Works like a hot damn.

DFWMalibu

Dragway Regular
Dec 15, 2006
Dallas,Tx
I have used it before you just have to use a relay because most clutch switches are ground based or vice versa... it is important to see how high it releases though if it releases the limiter before the car starts to pull then you defeated the purpose...

Chris K.

80montecarlo

Dragway Regular
Apr 24, 2008
cloverdale b.c. canada
80montecarlo said:
Buddy of mine uses one on him Acura(I know boooooo!!!, but it is a 12sec dd fwd import) but it works great exspecially with 4 wheel line lock and a 2 step. He has his set up to release higher on the clutch pedal so he can ride the clutch and pre load the driveline and not worry about braking anything, and when you release the switch on the steering wheel all #### brakes loose. Works like a hot ####.

btw he uses a long armed micro switch on the clutch, the ones with the 3" long arm on the switch.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
DFWMalibu said:
I have used it before you just have to use a relay because most clutch switches are ground based or vice versa... it is important to see how high it releases though if it releases the limiter before the car starts to pull then you defeated the purpose...

Chris K.
Yep, I would be re-wiring it, since the clutch switch on the G-Bodies simply break the circuit to the starter. Nothing complicated :D

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Yes, I'd likely ground one leg of the clutch switch and run the other leg to the relay, instead of snaking an extra +12v wire around pieces of bare metal. At the very least, then if the wire wound up getting chafed somehow it would just engage the relay instead of popping a fuse, etc. Either way it's another spot for a kill switch :)

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts