cooling system concerns

383malibufiend

Top Fueler
Mar 27, 2006
Lancaster PA
hey all, trying to simplify somethings to get my project going, figured id put the stock mechanical w/p back on, i mounted a fan on my rad from a ford taurus. should i just get a fan shroud and a clutch fan or wire up the e-fan to a relay off of the temp switch i have mounted in the cylinder head?

any benefit to having a electric fan and mechanical water pump? or am i missing the point here and should have electric water pump and electric fan working together? thanks

383malibufiend

Top Fueler
Mar 27, 2006
Lancaster PA
i would like to add it will be a screwing around town weekend driver and will be taking it to the strip a few times a year. i remember watching the temp climb in my s10 while waitin in the staging lanes and thought an all electric setup would be better, but i just want to get back to reliability and simplitcity once my car is going again.

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Hey Alex;
I run a stock w/p with an electric fan. The biggest advantage with an electric fan is the lack of rotating mass on the engine, which frees up horse power. It's takes a bit of power to turn that rotating fan, and with it gone, it makes a difference. My fan is mounted on the radiator, so it pulls air straight through the rad and through the fan. My temps never seem to rise past 180`..

I have a sensor mounted in the cooling fins of the radiator, and that senses the water temp.

Adding an electric w/p would free up a little more power from the engine.

Jim

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts