cushion for seat redo

79monte

Daily Driver
Oct 17, 2011
Fayetteville, NC, 28303
Hello, i have a 79 monte with a 50/50 bench seat.. i like the bench and am wanting to redo it, the covers were found easily, the cushion however no... any ideas? as of right now i am almost able to see the "springs" in the seat.. thanks in advance for looking and any thoughts

JuniorJ

Frequent Racer
79monte said:
Hello, i have a 79 monte with a 50/50 bench seat.. i like the bench and am wanting to redo it, the covers were found easily, the cushion however no... any ideas? as of right now i am almost able to see the "springs" in the seat.. thanks in advance for looking and any thoughts

You are kinda up the old creek without a paddle.
They are not reproduced. What you will have to do is go to a upholstery shop and have them rebuild it.
What they do is glue in new foam to the places that are gone, and build them back up. Then they shape the new foam to the factory foam, and most of the time it is cheaper doing it this way.

This is what I started with

Picture024.jpg

72Chevelle5.jpg

And this is the end result.

Picture036.jpg

72SS003.jpg

And all I did was rebuild it.

79monte

Daily Driver
Oct 17, 2011
Fayetteville, NC, 28303
those look REALLY nice.. is there an online vendor for the cushion to mold and such? i don't know of any interior shops around here.. any other ideas, other then switching to buckets... i'm a romantic and like holding my woman close on long drives :) lol

JuniorJ

Frequent Racer
79monte said:
those look REALLY nice.. is there an online vendor for the cushion to mold and such? i don't know of any interior shops around here.. any other ideas, other then switching to buckets... i'm a romantic and like holding my woman close on long drives :) lol

Didn't see that you had relpied.

What you can do is go to a hobby/fabric store like joannes or others, and buy sheets of foam. They will have many different sizes you can buy, and they range from 7/16'' to like 3/4" and from real soft to really firm.

Get a real sharp knife (like a filet knife) and clean up/straighten up the old torn up spot, then cut the new foam to fit in the old spot. When you cut it, cut it to where it is a tight fit, and a little long on the outter edge. Glue it in place with some spray adhesive (something like this http://www.yourautotrim.com/k701fofaspad.html ), and most fabric/hobby stores will havesomething along that line of glue. If you have faom sticking up above the factory foam, use the knife to ruffly shape it to the factory foam, then use (by hand) 36/40 grit sand paper and shape the foam to the factory contours.

79monte

Daily Driver
Oct 17, 2011
Fayetteville, NC, 28303
thanks for the info... i was thinking about that foam but wasn't sure if it would hold up to daily use.. but i trust your opinion :) afterall... you are an upholsterer.. i think that's right..lol
anyways.. where would you recommend to buy the cloth.. i want to do a two tone black with green vinyl is cool or a good cloth.. leather just costs too much :)
i wanna try this myself.. not to hurt any business.. but i ALWAYS give stuff like this a go then if it looks good.. cool.. if not... find a pro.. :)

JuniorJ

Frequent Racer
79monte said:
thanks for the info... i was thinking about that foam but wasn't sure if it would hold up to daily use.. but i trust your opinion :) afterall... you are an upholsterer.. i think that's right..lol
anyways.. where would you recommend to buy the cloth.. i want to do a two tone black with green vinyl is cool or a good cloth.. leather just costs too much :)
i wanna try this myself.. not to hurt any business.. but i ALWAYS give stuff like this a go then if it looks good.. cool.. if not... find a pro.. :)

http://www.yourautotrim.com

http://www.miamicorp.com/default.aspx?Page=Home

http://www.midwestfabrics.com/index.php

^^^^^^^^^^ One of those 3 should have what you are looking for.^^^^^^^^^^^^

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts