Custom LED taillights...

BMR Sales

Frequent Racer
Nov 20, 2008
I am working on an led setup for another car now. I got the idea from my buddy. He used the trailer led lights you can buy at any parts store for around $20 to $30 per light. All the wiring is done and they have the proper resistors in them already. Just so happens they fit perfectly in his tail lights and they should also work for what I am doing.

The pre made lights will take a lot of headache out of the project.

Also getting the lenses off the lights isnt too bad. I put the taillights in the oven on 200 deg for around an hour. Checked them every 15 minutes or so and they came off pretty easy.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
So I was doing some more browsing and thought of looking for a taillight assembly that a)actually has some aftermarket support, and b) can be retrofitted to a G-Body, likely by a sheetmetal (or other means) housing, that can be mounted in place of the factory lights. So far the closest I've found are the '67 or '69 Camaro taillights... '68 has too much trim imo.
'67
camp_0907_07+black_1967_camaro+rear_tail_lights.jpg

Custom (no reverse lens)
sucp_0912_06_z+1967_chevy_camaro+rear_taillights.jpg

'68
camp_0906_10+1968_chevrolet_camaro+rear_tail_lights.jpg

'69
camp_0907_09+1969_chevy_camaro+rear_tail_lights.jpg

Custom
camp-0906-13-1969-chevy-camaro-ss-rear-tail-lights.jpg

113_0703_02_z+1969_camaro_rs+rear_view.jpg

FBTL-69CAMSSBLK.jpg

FBTL-69CAMSSBLK_DETAIL.jpg

In a Nova
0909phr_08_z+1970_chevy_nova+taillights.jpg

0909phr_10_z+1970_chevy_nova+rear_view.jpg

I thought the '69 may be doable similar to how they're mounted in the Nova, and maybe fit some reverse lights into the bumper (similar to some of the newer cars), but I also thought the angle would still look a little funny regardless since from the rear most all the G-Bodies' taillights appear rectangular in some form (Regal, Malibu, LeMans, etc.). At the same time they have the least amount of visible 'trim'.

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
BMR Sales said:
I am working on an led setup for another car now. I got the idea from my buddy. He used the trailer led lights you can buy at any parts store for around $20 to $30 per light. All the wiring is done and they have the proper resistors in them already. Just so happens they fit perfectly in his tail lights and they should also work for what I am doing.

The pre made lights will take a lot of headache out of the project.

Also getting the lenses off the lights isnt too bad. I put the taillights in the oven on 200 deg for around an hour. Checked them every 15 minutes or so and they came off pretty easy.

Yup, did this exact mod to my '94 300ZX a couple years ago. It was actually pretty easy to do.
The 180 to 200 degree oven temp will soften the glue that holds the lens/housing assembly together, but is not hot enough to damage the plastic.. BUT you really do have to keep an eye on the process...just in case it does get a little warm...

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts