Early Bronco 9"

468malibu

Frequent Racer
Sep 13, 2003
Binghamton NY
I was under the assumption that an early Bronco rear, 66-77, 58" WMS-WMS, other than welding the mounts on was pretty much a bolt in deal. I ran across an old friend that has built many, many, many cars, knows his sh*t, forgot more than most will ever know. I told him that I'm looking for a rear, and when I mention the EB rear, he told me it wouldn't work cause the diff is offset too much. I would need to move the tailshaft of the transmission to make up for the misalignment. My old 78 had a 9" but that was already built so not sure what was done to it.

I'm not sure now many G-bodies he's built, maybe he is thinking of early Camaro's and 57 Chevy's, I know he's done a lot. I don't want to go thru the hassle of narrowing a rear, let alone have the money to do it....

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Those have 28 spline axles too I think. That means a bunch of parts and $ to make it 31 spline.

468malibu

Frequent Racer
Sep 13, 2003
Binghamton NY
I'm not worried bout 31 splines, this isn't a drag car. 28 will be fine. I'm just real curious about the offset, if it's a concern or not. I've heard a lot of guys running the EB 9", but never heard of the offset to be an issue.

bigadam

Jan 24, 2010
he dont know his sh*t on this one.... its the same pinion offset as any other 9" i have 3 of them and have used them for years... make sure to put a back brace on it or you will bend it.. they arent as strong as the big truck housings...

468malibu

Frequent Racer
Sep 13, 2003
Binghamton NY
I wasn't calling this guy out, this guy builds some sick sh*t, but like I said, I don't know if he's ever done a G body or not. I would think that he has since there is was so many of them around, a lot of guys race them. It's also something that he mentioned. He used these rears in other cars as well, so maybe he was mistaken.

I planned on bracing it, but right now the problem is the money. Unemployment doesn't pay very well, and have other things to worry bout than a rear. Least now I know that there isn't any issues.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts