Electric fuel pump setup, how to and have any pictures...

jazzbo

Frequent Racer
Jan 20, 2008
Lebanon, Tn
I am going to an electric fuel pump. Have a blue holley w/the regulator. I dont plan on sumping the tank. Was going to just tap into the factory fuel line. I heard pumps push better than pull so was going to mount it close to the tank. I am hoping this is a thing almost everyone does and people can send me some pics to look at the best way to mount the pump and the tubing and what not.
Help me out brothers!

jazzbo

Frequent Racer
Jan 20, 2008
Lebanon, Tn
Anyone? I know it might seem elementry to some but I am new at this and could just use some pointers

A

Anonymous

im running an aeromotive a1000 electric pump it is mounted in the trunk in the spare wheel space. im running a rci 16 gallon fuel cell with sump. using -10an fuel line from the tank to the pump, -10an from the pump to the regulator which is mounted on the firewall, and 4 -8an hoses reaching out to each carburetor. im also running a return line -10an. i've always used electric fuel pumps but for not a high horsepower application a mechanical fuel pump works fine, but since you already have the pump just mount it in the trunk near the pump, and re route your hoses.

toxicbu

Frequent Racer
Feb 25, 2009
romeoville il
your going to end up with a big head ake if u mount it near the tank. the blue pump cant pull fuel up the sending unit . thats why the electric pumps are at the rear and below the tank. this way the pump is allways full. try the holly mechanical fuel pump it's ur best bet, unles u want to sump your tank .

jazzbo

Frequent Racer
Jan 20, 2008
Lebanon, Tn
I would love to have a mechanical pump but my block didnt even have a hole for the fuel pump rod.
So I am stuck with running an electric pump. But you are saying that I have to sump my tank for it to work at all? I have it mounted where the factory tank is. It is about where the tank is. Your saying though that it will not suck it up maybe 6 inches? I am nervous now. I have yet to get to the point to start the thing but am getting extremly close. Can I have some more opinions?

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
The electrics need to be gravity fed. They'll burn up if they have to draw the fuel up.

A

Anonymous

What Supe said is correct. I have tried what you are wanting to do, it will work, but you will definitely burn the pump in a short amount of time.

jazzbo

Frequent Racer
Jan 20, 2008
Lebanon, Tn
But if I mount it below the tank that should still be gravity fed without sumping the tank right?

A

Anonymous

jazzbo said:
But if I mount it below the tank that should still be gravity fed without sumping the tank right?

Your fuel line comes out on the top of a factory tank, so no matter where you mount your pump it has to pull it up and out of the factory tank.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts