Engine mounting--for beginning 1980 Mal. swap

mudpaws

Nov 1, 2009
I'm starting to gather up parts for my engine swap, small block Chevy into my '80 Malibu. Where is the best (cheapest, etc.) source for the metal (engine side) brackets and what application should I get? Aren't all the V8 Chevy brackets (bolting to the engine) for the small block the same, whether truck, car? Are they all the same casting (mounting height, etc.)?? (((NOTE***I think I just found out that: there are differences. The 'truck' ones will give you a HIGHER engine mounting position, and the 'car' bracket will be where it's supposed to be-and that is LOW))) For the frame side 'clamshell' I will get poly mounts, or prob. just off the shelf auto store OE ones for now. The engine is not radical.

For the exhaust, I wanted to get ceramic headers and a stainless exhaust with x-pipe. I will prob get the Pypes SGG10 system for exhaust. Unless some good shop can bend me up a 2.5" system comparable. I found headers a while back for $295. They were ceramic-coated, though I forget where they were online or from what vendor. With regard to this area, I'm trying to buy stuff once, in anticipation of later, more radical engines I will build. I'd like a crossover tube or x-pipe exhaust and headers that will always look good. The Jegs 30060s are nice but they are of the painted style. Anyone have experience using Jet-Hot or any very good coatings for hot stuff like this?

Thanks!

P.S. I'll put a wanted ad in the classifieds here, but is anyone selling those engine side steel mount brackets? The car ones. not the truck ones which yield a taller mounted position...

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
Re: Engine mounting--for beginning 1980 Mal. swap beginning

Yea, your right about the clamshell motor mount bean different. The frame side motor mounts are all the same though. As for headers theres a few good header makers out there, Youll need to find one that fits your needs. A good exhaust guy should be able to do a custom 2.5 exhaust for you. Doug

mudpaws

Nov 1, 2009
Re: Engine mounting--for beginning 1980 Mal. swap beginning

So where do you think I should get the (car) mount brackets? A junkyard around here has the pair for $75, complete with the bolts and nuts. A Chevy dealer I could get them from wants $39 each (brackets only-no hardware). That sounds steep for the junkyard, although NO ONE else had them here. I called literally 8 junkyards and 5 dealers. Any advice?

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
you could probably get the mounts from transdapt cheaper than that. Also on the exhaust system topic, check out the flowmaster x-pipe kit. I have it on my malibu and i really like it. Also go 3" if your planning to do upgrades in the future.

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
Hey, For the frame mount motot mounts You can pick them up at Advance auto parts for $7.99 ea. They also deliver. Doug

mudpaws

Nov 1, 2009
Yes, I know about the clamshell mounts being $8 at AZ. I only wish that the engine side was comparable. I mean at least if they were $20 each I would be happy. $40 is just insane. I'm gonna check Transdapt now. I will also check the Flowmaster stuff out. Thanks guys!

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
Hey, The (Clam shell) motor mount, Bolts to the Engine. The Motor mount that bolt to the frame is the steel/rubber mount that is $7.99 . Doug

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
You can use grade 8 bolts w/lock nuts on the frame mounts and whatever else you will need hardware for.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts