Engine Trouble, Any Ideas!?

appsk8r

Frequent Racer
Sep 7, 2006
Winston Salem, NC
So I'm having some issues with my motor and I was looking to get some opinions about what could be the problem.

Symptoms:
-For about the past week the car has been dieseling badly when I turn it off
-Yesterday, I realized the two header bolts on cylinder #8 had completely backed out, and blew out the gasket.
-Today, after the car was warm, it was idling very rough, and would not stay running unless I gave it some gas. When I put it in gear there was a severe decrease in power. Opened the hood, and there was oil coming out from between the manifold and carb, and oil coming from the valve cover gasket and I assume had dripped onto the #8 spark plug.
-After it cooled down, I was able to drive it home but it was low on power and still running rough.

Any ideas, things to try? Let me know if you need more info. Thanks for sharing any info, I know this is the best place to go for any questions.

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
sounds like a timing issue like it's too far advanced. Pop the dist cap and see if the mech advance in the distributor is stuck ( should spring back when you turn it by hand ). I have seen this happen on 2 cars ( including mine ) lately. I guess it's from sitting all winter. Then break out the timing light as see where you are at.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts