Fastest and strongest 7.5"?

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
Wow! Thanks for all the responses and input... this always make me feel warm inside when I post a question and it seems like everyone wants to put their 2 cents in...
grizwald said:
i say you should put better axles in it and c clip eliminators if you plan to race the car at all. not much fun chasing your tire and axle down the track after it comes out of the car when it breaks! i know...i did it!!

could someone explain this c-clip eliminator thing to me or give me an article to read about them... I looked at a bunch of parts and pictures and for some reason don't get it...

grizwald said:
yeah, if you have 26 spline axles now, you're stuck with them unless you want to buy a new powertrax unit. THAT would be a complete waste of money, IMO.
what are you running this in?

I'm running it in an '83 cutlass with a strictly 'bolt ons' 350 for now nothin crazy, which will eventually be something much more powerful, but I just want it to last for a little while...
Doober said:
What are you going to be doing more... racing it or driving it?

I'm going to be driving mine, so I'm building the 7.5 for now. You can get 28-spline axles from Summit for about $240. I'll probably get something like a Detroit TruTrac for mine, cover support, etc.

If I blow it up, oh well, just means I'll get a stronger rear then.

I'm just going to be driving it mostly, with just the occasional trip to the track to get an update on when I tune it differently or get a new part...

What would be the difference in these two axles?
SAG-PA6069
MSR-A102601
Which would you guys recommend?

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
Ran 12.0's for 2 seasons - auto, foot break, 4:11 w/aluburn posi before I sold it and went to a 9in. Have a monte ss 3:73 open drum to drum for $150 if anyone is looking.

cutlass389

Frequent Racer
Feb 2, 2009
NC
I've been running slicks for 4 years now with a 7.5" with 1.55-1.62 60 foots. It came out of an '86 Monte Carlo SS with 3.73's. I added 28 spline Moser axles, a support cover, and a takeout posi (Gleason-Torson) from a fourth gen f-body which is similar to the Trutrac off of ebay for $140. Behind an automatic WITHOUT a transbrake this will survive unless you're making big power. If you've got a 26 spline Powertrax now, it wouldn't make sense money wise to change it out. You could get 26 spline aftermarket axles which would be somewhat stronger than stock axles that have been cycled millions of times.

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
ok, so I should be ok, with just a few extra parts... I wouldn't spend less than 1000 on a new housing if I was going for brute strength, so I guess these extra few parts won't hurt to just piece together a budget assembly that could last probably for as long as I'm going to need it...

Thank you so much everyone, you have given me piece of mind. I didn't think that these things were as week as everyone rumored they were.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Yeah, mine is still bone stock, I drove it all last summer with probably 350hp or so and a manual trans (Saginaw, another rumored weakness), and didn't break a thing. Picked up a 4-speed Saginaw for this year, and hopefully getting a posi as well.

cutlass389

Frequent Racer
Feb 2, 2009
NC
The real "weak links" I believe are stock 26 spline axles, the stock cast carrier, spider gears, and the bearing caps are small which under power can allow the pinion gear to push the ring gear away. When this happens, the contact area on the teeth slides out towards the "toes" and this is when gear breakage occurs. The support cover should be mandatory to keep the contact pattern optimized.

Brian79

Frequent Racer
Aug 21, 2008
Wataga, IL
A friend of mine ran 11.30 on his 7.5 for 2seasons until he upgraded and it held. He did mention that when he took the stock axles out he noticed that they were starting to twist. Looks like he caught it just in time.

Who makes 28spline axles for the 7.5? didn't think they would fit into the 7.5 tubes.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
i know that the cover works. just took apart my 7.5 to get the end of the axle and twisted mini spool out of it and the gear is still perfect. the cover held it right where it was supposed to be.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!