Fuel tank, pump, cell?

breakneck88

Feb 5, 2011
OK, here it is. I have an '87 MCSS. Getting a 425 hp 383. Eventually turbo/SC. Looking for 450-500 at the wheels. I purchased a jegs 130 gph electric pump. The original plan was to make a bracket and bolt it to the spare tire well behind the axle. Jegs tech said it won't work if I use the stock sender. So, if they are right I need a sump or a cell. Problem is I ran out of $ for the swap. What's the most cost effective way to make this reliable?? Will it work mounted to the spare tire well? I will be running new 3/8 line and maybe use the 5/16 vent for a return.. Really don't know which way to go. If I need a cell is there a bolt in that uses the gm sending unit? Any help or experience is greatly appreciated. Oh and the block isn't folly drilled for a mechanical pump. Last 1/4" is still there. Vortec 4 bolt block. Eventually looking at maybe 8# of boost. Would like to do this once if financially possible. I have to get this done as it is my DD and the 305 is half dead. Thanks.

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
sump the stock tank. Cap the fuel outlet on top and leave the fuel gage sending unit hooked up. Run 1/2" aluminum fuel line form the sump to the filter and join the filter to the pump with a piece of steel 3/8" threaded pipe about 3" long. Then run 1/2" aluminum line up to your regulator mounted on the inner fender well. I have this system feeding a 600 hp BBC along with a 200 shot of nitrous using a single holley black pump. But i do have a y-block before the regulater feeding a seperate reg for the nitrous system. It works good. If you must run a return line then weld a bung into the top front edge of the tank. A 3/8 line should do fine for a return. GET THE SUMP DONE BY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING!
brian

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
I agree, sump the stock tank. Most electric pumps are considerd "pusher" style pumps meaning they need to be gravity fed to work right. Some pumps can work as a puller, which would be off the stock sender and create enough vacuum to pull gas out of the tank.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!