Full manual T400 on the Street

wagonmaster

Weekend Racer
Aug 30, 2004
Green Bay, WI
With the install of my 496 I wanted to update the T350 so I bought a full boogie T400 with manual valve body, Hipster trans brake, etc. My question is the guy that built it says NO downshifting with this trans. I have known this guy for years and trust him. Can I live with this on the street? Motor is built for mid range power. I just can't help thinking that slowing down for a corner and not being able to downshift could be a PITA. I have to wait till I come to a stop. I an thinking the engine should have more than enough torque to accelerate especially with a 3500 stall convertor. If anyone has run one or is running one let me know your thoughts. I wanted the trans brake for the track and was advised not running a T350 unless I spent alot of money on it.

Thanks for your help/advice
Randy

ILLEGAL REGAL

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jan 1, 2005
Tinley Park,IL
well I dunno why he said no manual valve body downshifts. I ran one on the street and from high gear I'd downshift it if I was around 30mph to 2nd. And a buddy of mine has a th350 with a brake and its just fine. I believe all he has is a sprag and good drum in it.

A

Anonymous

i got a full manual th400 with brake in my blown 489 monte. ill downshift at slower speeds not higher.

chevy406

Weekend Racer
Oct 11, 2008
ft pierce,fl
i run one also, i was told the gears run in oposite direction, and this causes extra wear when down shifting, i just time the lights right, and i usually drive around in second gear so i dont have to worry about it, and when i have to turn and slow down i just pull over so i can come to a complete stop and put it in first, i wish i didnt get it but its in and i just deal with it now.

79Lemans

Frequent Racer
Jan 22, 2008
Mass
I drove my for years on the street,but was not a daily driver and did'nt mind it. My opinion,if your car is more for the street i would say don't do it.Use the full-manual like the others on this post have said,just slow down and stay in 2nd than 1st on a complete stop.

SSmonte408

Amateur Racer
Jun 19, 2007
otisville, Michigan
alot of manual valve bodies don't have engine braking, so down shifting won't slow you down anyway. I'm not familiar with the hipster though so yours may not be like that.

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA and Philly Area
I have an ATI turbo 350, full manual, band apply, HD sprag, etc. They just told me to come to a complete stop before downshifting into first like other people are describing.

wagonmaster

Weekend Racer
Aug 30, 2004
Green Bay, WI
Thanks guys for all the help. Dude pretty much said DO NOT under any circumstance downshift at risk of irrepairable damage. My thinking was like one of you said was run in second in town, try to time the lights, etc. Hopefully its not a bad choice. I need a strong trans and want a transbrake but I really don't want to make it too much of a pain to drive that its not fun. Does that make sense??? I want it race car fast and street cruiser sensible. Might be too much to ask but it should be fun to drive!!
Thanks again,

Randy

A

Anonymous

until you actually get it in and drive it around, you will see how LITTLE you'd actually be put into a situation where you would need to down shift from 3rd to 2nd or 1st. Had one in my LS1 camaro and drove that thing all over the place. Come to a stop and then put it down into first and then accelerate up from there. Next stop light on the cruise strip, just come to a stop and put it in first again.

Hell, drive your daily driver around in D and shift from 1 to 2 to D, and then see if you ever need to drop it back to 2.

If I all of a sudden was heading up a hill or something, I just gave it more gas. yeah it was loud and it was reving pretty high, but it only lasted a couple seconds

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts