Full manual T400 on the Street

Barry 85 SS

Frequent Racer
Aug 8, 2005
Newport News, Va
Does this "no down shifting" thing apply to all manual valve body turbo 400's are just those with trans brakes. I have a reverse manual,(TCI valve body), in mine and I have been down shifting when I felt like it. When you down shift to 2nd or 1st there is no engine braking so it doesn't seem to put any strain on anything.

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA and Philly Area
Barry 85 SS said:
Does this "no down shifting" thing apply to all manual valve body turbo 400's are just those with trans brakes. I have a reverse manual,(TCI valve body), in mine and I have been down shifting when I felt like it. When you down shift to 2nd or 1st there is no engine braking so it doesn't seem to put any strain on anything.

Correct me if I am wrong, but when I bought my ATI turbo 350, there was an option of having 'band-apply' or not. It may be different with or without it concerning downshifting because if you don't have band apply, there is no engine braking. I had some trouble researching this, so hopefully someone has more information.

wagonmaster

Weekend Racer
Aug 30, 2004
Green Bay, WI
I guess I don't know enough to answer that. I am wondering if it is something inherant to the Hipster transbrakes because I don't think its like that with all trans brakes as someone pointed out in an earlier post I think. As I stated before this guys know his $hit and builds alot of trannys for the strip nearby. It sounds as if some of you guys have them and just deal with it which is okay with me. I was just hoping it wasn't a real pain in the rear. I hope like heck it helps me get the wheels up, even just a little. LOL

Now.....Any body got a good drive shaft??

A

Anonymous

You will be fine. I have been driving the same trans for almost 5 seasons. The thing you have to remember is when your driving it, is get it into drive as soon as you can. While driving it do not let off the gas in 1st and 2nd,get it into drive before you let off the gas. The reason was stated before that there is no engine braking in 1st and 2nd. Only in drive. Thats the reasons for no downshifting. The engine freewheels in 1st and 2nd. If you let off the gas in 1st and 2nd or downshift, Its like putting the car in neutral and when you give it gas its like doing neutral drops..The trans will not last very long.With a little practice you will have no problems.

dev1360

Frequent Racer
Dec 22, 2006
East Alton, IL
I have a full manual th350 and I blew the downshift band for second gear to pieces, not knowing, drove it all summer, went 12.30 on it lol...then it ate up the front pump. It was a mess. It has since been rebuilt with the same valve body and no band in 2nd gear. I will put it in first if im on a slow roll and I am careful with it.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts