fuse holder question...

wannabe

Frequent Racer
Aug 31, 2009
been searching for a fuse holder to get my wiring started and they all have a max amp load, which is understandable, but some are as low as 50 amp, others 60 etc. question is if the fan pulls, say 50+ amps start-up, it doesn't leave much room for other accessories, fuel pump, water pump, etc. also some have like a 30 amp max fuse, which looks too small for most applications. Is there something I am not seeing here? thanks for any help given..........wannabe :-k

NEW2MALIBU

Dragway Regular
Mar 5, 2007
idaho
Only add up the running current (amps). Electric motors will draw up to six times their running current on start up. The fuses, fuse blocks etc. are designed to handle this inrush current for a short period.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
NEW2MALIBU said:
Only add up the running current (amps). Electric motors will draw up to six times their running current on start up. The fuses, fuse blocks etc. are designed to handle this inrush current for a short period.

I respectfully disagree with the capacity of the fusebox. Initial DC motor in-rush current is very high just as you stated. Small DC motors can have an initial in-rush current of 300% of rated operating current. Medium DC motors can have an initial in-rush current of 400% of rated operating current. Large DC motors can have an initial in-rush current of 500 to 700% of rated operating current. For example, a starter motor could have an instantaneous in-rush current of 1000 Amps for a few milliseconds when it's turned on. Although I'm sure it can handle the majority of loads like headlights, rear defrosters, etc, the fuseblock is not designed to carry major current loads. Any heavy loads should be served by a relay. That way only load in the fusebox is the current draw of the relay coil, probably an amp or two tops.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts