G body Heater removal

85MonteCoupe

Daily Driver
Dec 30, 2008
Columbus, Indiana
So, I finally decided I am going to remove my heater/Ac box from the engine bay. I've been putting it off for a few years because I wanted to keep defrost but in the last two years since the engine swap I have never once needed the heater or fan. One time I turned it on because it was pretty hot out, but it blew so much hot air into the car I turned it right back off. So my question is, do you need to remove the dash in order to get the box out through the engine bay? I have it half out, top and all bolts loosened, but it seems like something else might be holding it up. I have seen plenty of pictures of people with it out, but no descriptions on how. Do you have to remove the dash or is there some bolt I am missing that is still in it? I would prefer not to damage it during removal.

Thanks,
Jason

vickysbu

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2011
Low End
No need to remove the dash, glove compartment door needs to be removed for easier access. Do you have the controls dismounted already? And you're going to need a prybar to break the seal, just be gentle so you dont crack the box.

85MonteCoupe

Daily Driver
Dec 30, 2008
Columbus, Indiana
Vickysbu, thanks for the response,

So I do have the glove box out, the radio panel out and all the radio/heater electrical stuff disconnected. I also removed the trim panel above the glovebox and started loosening all the bolts to the vents in the car. I have all the bolts out on the engine compartment side and it is hanging loose. I am thinking that the passengerside head might be the issue. Since I did the LSx swap I moved the engine back 1 inch. I tried pulling the valve cover off on that side, which gave me a little bit more room, but it still seems to be hanging up. I can pull on the side closest to the fender and it rotates and moves out but contacts the head. Under the dash I can see it pushing back on the center vent piece that is right behind the radio. Is there anyway I can pivot it out to get around removing the cylinder head? Will removing all the vents give me enough clearance?

Thanks,
Jason

85MonteCoupe

Daily Driver
Dec 30, 2008
Columbus, Indiana
Figured it out. There is a goldish colored bracket that attaches the bottom of the dash to the top of the firewall. The box was getting held up there. Once I removed that I was able to wiggle the box and move it around and get it out. Got it out with only minimal scuff marks to the box corners.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts