galling on lash caps

brunz21

Amateur Racer
Jan 17, 2012
chicago, IL
i broke down the top end of my motor yesterday, so i could inspect everything under the manifold and so forth. when i removed the rockers, i discovered that some, not all, of the lash caps were really really galled. the ones that were not galled show a perfect wear pattern in the black coating, and even the ones that were galled, are galled perfectly in the very center of the cap near the weep hole. only one of the roller tips were slightly rough on the edge of the wheel and the rest appear to be perfectly smooth. all of them roll without hesitation and seem to be in proper working order. all of the rocker arm trunions roll without hesitation as well. has anyone experienced this with lash cap or valve stems? is this a tuning issue or just in the name of beating up parts?

im running a .722/.690 bullet solid roller, offset lifters, .165 wall dbl taper push rods, lunati voodoo 1.7 rockers over manly valves with hardened lash caps. im going to try to post the pictures i took later when i figure out how. any info would be much appreciated. needless to say im ordering a new set of caps.

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
I'd say most likely a poor hardening of the lash caps. Is this a small block?

brunz21

Amateur Racer
Jan 17, 2012
chicago, IL
no, its a big block. 454 .100 over. merlin aluminum heads, offset lifters. they are comp cams brand caps, not to say that any brand cant have problems, but they're not some chinese cheapies.

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
What is the part number for the roller lifters? I am wondering why with that setup, you had to use anything other than standard roller lifters.

brunz21

Amateur Racer
Jan 17, 2012
chicago, IL
Ill see if i can get it when i get home today. Thats what the builder suggested and it looks kind of tight in there as far as the push rods coming through the heads.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts