gev V BBC peanut heads and compression help for performance

carazyness

Daily Driver
Dec 21, 2008
I have a 94 gen V 454 with maybe 2k original miles on it in my 81 Malibu. I know that year is one of the red headed step child years for the BBC family of engines. I have put a 700 dbl pumper on it with a Edelbrock intake serp belts and MSD ignition, it runs nice and smooth but just doesn't have the power you would expect from a 454. I really don't want to pull the bottom end apart ( other than changing the cam and lifters). does any one have any experience using one of these engines? I would like to change the heads and cam and bump the compression up for some real power numbers. at least in the 400s ...The rest of the car is set up to handle it. If i have to get into the bottom end or have to go with some off the wall heads it may be cheaper (and lighter) to build a wicked little small block. One more question can a set of older 119cc heads be milled down enough to get the compression up ? Is there a gasket that allows for the head swap ? I think it would have to be taken down to under 100cc. What about the vortec L-29 heads? has any one used them? I have seen them for $500 or less for remanufactured ones, can they be ported polished and milled for some power. Any help is appreciated. Thank you Andrew

D&A Machine Shop

Frequent Racer
Re: gev V BBC peanut heads and compression help for performa

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-60499/

These are made for the TBI engine like you are running, may be more money than you want to spend but worth looking at.

I have no Idea if the vortec heads will work I think the bolt holes in the intake side and the head gaskets are different.

carazyness

Daily Driver
Dec 21, 2008

I'm going to give Edelbrock tech support a call and see what they have to recommend. Edelbrocks website does mention 8.8 to one compression. So maybe with one of there cams it will work...But at $925.00 a head and then the cam and other little stuff its getting up there in $$$$$$

carazyness

Daily Driver
Dec 21, 2008

Talked to the Tech at Edelbrock, he recommended the performer high compression 454-O heads( like d&A recommended) with performer cam (.500-.500 lift) -performer intake- and roller tip rockers. It should put it into the 400 hp range. But I'm still wondering if anyone has done some work with the Vortec bbc heads I would like to know about it.
Andrew

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey

You probably can't use your 119 cc heads on a Gen V, so your best bet is to go with the Edelbrock package. It should get you to your target power level.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts