GM Mini Starter question

80malibucoup

Frequent Racer
Feb 8, 2011
Jonesboro,Ga
scuba_steve's_bu said:
we just changed the starter in my car. it went out between the 1st and 2nd round last week. we put one in from a 97-99 vortec 350 chevy pick up (napa part # 4n-5110). went right in no problems, lots of room and no shims!! reached in turned the key and sweet it worked. we did use the stock bolts and had to put 3 small washers between the bottom of the starter and the bolt. my motor is a 400 small block with staggered pattern. sure went in alot easier than it came out.
What flywheel are you using? The teeth on mine get hung up on the flywheel and won't disengage. Mine is a Auto Zone starter with 11 teeth. Part # DL9990s,I have a TCI 168 tooth flywheel for the 400 sbc. The starter has a offset bolt pattern.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
t5montecarlo said:
Yes, there is. If the bolts are in-line and both are long, it is the 168-tooth flywheel. If the bolts are staggered and one is short/one is long, it is for the 153-tooth flywheel.

On first design SBC & BBC, staggered bolt starters are for 168t & in-line are for 153t. Please correct me if it's different on this particular engine architecture.

Tommy

80malibucoup

Frequent Racer
Feb 8, 2011
Jonesboro,Ga
I fixed my problem.For some dumb reson,the reman starters come with 11 teeth and the new ones come with 9. I swapped out the reman and got the new one,problem solved.If only I knew this some years ago. A starter cost me a $2000 easy race. Oh well you learn something every day.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts