Holley Street Avenger carburetor?

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I have a Mr. Gasket fuel regulator on my 78, due to the mechanical fuel pump putting out 9 lbs of fuel pressure to the carburetor, which is set at 6.5 lbs. Could this be stopping the carburetor functioning until it gets running?

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Excess fuel pressure would override the float valve and flood the engine, but that doesn't sound like your problem. You have only described the choke valve not closing fully.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I think the problem is that it's not getting fuel up there to get it running. I believe the problem is that the fuel pressure regulator is letting fuel drain back so it takes more to get the fuel up to start it. It also could be the mechanical fuel pump is doing that as well.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
That's been happening some time. It only does this in cold weather. I have to keep pumping the throttle, even after it starts to keep it running for a bit. Once it gets running, no problem. I'm planning to change your to a Holley Sniper EFI system.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Thank you for your help, it's much appreciated. I just don't know what to do. This only happens in winter. I'm putting in the EFI system hoping it will be able to pass emissions test in Portland Oregon, for my son when I give it to him.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I am surprised that you need an emissions test for a 1978 vehicle? I see that all cars 1975 and newer are required to pass. It should be easy for a 1978 to pass if the catalytic converter is in good shape and the carburetor is not running rich. Do you know anyone with any old testing equipment who can test in ID to confirm it will meet the OR specs?

Reactions: 78elk

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts