How to check and fill oil in a 7.5 differential?

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I took all the bolts back out of the cover on Monday. I tried to pry it off but it wouldn't come loose. I put the bolts back in. When this started it leaked a big puddle. After I cleaned it up and put the ATV on it leak smaller puddle. After Monday it's not leaking at all.

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Hi There,
You really should have a gasket under your differential cover, I always have as I've never found just sealer of any type adequate, if you have a standard 7.5" rear the Fel-Pro part number is RDS55072, I like to use Permetex Aviation Form-A-Gasket along with a gasket which is a thick liquid that has a brush to apply it, I use that on both sides of the gasket and have never had one leak in many years of working on cars, also the correct oil level with anything that has a side fill oil plug be it Rear Ends, Transmissions or whatever is dead even with the bottom of the fill plug hole with the vehicle level, also in fourty years of working on vehicles of many types I've never encountered a sealant that I could.t break loose by driving a couple screwdrivers, chisels or putty knives into the parting line, you just were'l trying hard enough, hope it helps!! Good Luck, KillerDave

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I put a new gasket in today and filled it with oil. Now I'll let it sit and see if it leaks without moving it.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!