Ideas?

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
I took this morning off to run down and visit Stacey Davids on the set of GEARz. Unfortunately, he was gone to a meeting, but his mechanic assistant was there cleaning up and messing with some project related stuff. We got to talking and comparing war stories (LOL). I told him about my motor making noise. He said by the description, he thought it might be the flywheel. Would anyone else think that? It has a weird knock at 2000 RPM-UP, the engine pulls hard and idles pretty smooth. Standing over the motor, it is hard to place the exact source of the sound. It doesn't sound like it is coming from the lower end, and doesn't sound like any sort of lifter noise I have heard before.

Here is the video I took, right after putting the exhaust on. You can hear it at the end of the video when I give it a few revs.

He also gave me a new in the box holley 600 carb. I ran the numbers on it, says it was built in the late 60's to early 70's. Not really big enough for my motor, but free is free right.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
Check the torque convertor bolts. mine were a little loose and i thought it was lifters. tightened them up and i was back in business. it could also be the flywheel bolts.

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
I checked the converter bolts while I had it on the lift doing the exhaust. I didn't inspect the flywheel or bolts.

Is there a different flywheel for the th350 then would have been used for the 4L60E in the 02 s-10 I pulled this motor from?

sbmalibu

Frequent Racer
Oct 5, 2009
north judson indiana
I have seen a torque converter have the center that aligns it in the crank break off and it would make noise like that.Took forever to figure out.

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
I was thinking about unbolting the TC and sliding it back. Then seeing if the noise was still there. I have never heard of anyone doing that before, is that a big no-no, how much room should there be if I slide the TC back?

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
I just remembered my dad had the same problem, it ended up being the front pump in his turbo 400 that was making the exact same noise you described. he did what your gonna try and the noise was gone.
There should be about an inch of room i believe.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Do you mean the knocking sound at about 1:04 in the video?

I had a 1976 Buick 350 that made a knocking sound similar to that and it turned out the hub had broken off of the flywheel webbing. The knocking was the 2 parts of the flywheel banging against each other.

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
YEP, that's the noise

Starting to feel a bit more positive about the whole project. I am hoping I can get the TC unbolted this weekend and give it a try.

I just got a 1407 edelbrock performer carb today. I am hoping I can get it running again. I gave my new holley that was on the motor to a friend, and I am giving the new holley 600 I just got to my brother. The car has been sitting without a carb for over a month, hasn't been running in almost 3 months.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts