info on a factory posi

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
picked up a 8.5" caprice rear, it has 30 spline axles and what looks to be an auburn posi.....are these good units? I think its a 1987 year

MalibuMan1979

Frequent Racer
Aug 17, 2008
flint, (lapeer), michigan
i too would like some info on this. i have heard that the b cars axles won't fit because they are too wide. i have heard they fit great with aftermarket control arms with the proper rear wheel backspacing. I AM SO CONFUSED

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
Im sure it will fit with different upper arms. the rears are cheap and have posi, 30 spline axles and good gears. Im just going to use the posi carrier and upgrade to 30 spline axles.

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
My question is on the posi unit, being cone type, thing is heavy and looks strong but not sure about the guts.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Most drag guys seem to prefer Eatons over Auburns, many road-race guys like the Auburns as they have higher torque biasing & are a little more "locked up" than the Eaton, but the STOCK Auburns aren't any big deal in terms of strength.

Tommy

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
I took the auburn apart and there is nothing inside that can break...just to side cones...and the case is thick...might try it with 30 spline axles

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
The Auburns aren't rebuildable, metal to metal (Cone to Case) wear thru out the life of the Posi, so it's filling the Case & Bearings with metal constantly.
Aubruin does offer some Factory Remanns tho.
Cases have to be Machined/Shimmed etc..

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
The teeny bit of relatively soft metal cone that gets worn in an Auburn is less damaging to the main gears & bearings than the carbon fiber clutch plates that wear in an Eaton. Routine fluid changes removes those materials anyway. Besides, the only time you really get any serious wear is if the parts aren't properly lubed. In that case, ring & pinion & spider gears wear just as much, if not more, so clutch material wear is pretty much a moot point. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just listing the differences.

Tommy

HP JUNKEY

Dragway Regular
Oct 30, 2008
Buffalo.NY
I prefer the Auburn cone styles, But once the cones wear down they will stop grabbing posi, they still move the vehicle but don't spin posi. Usually the parts that "let loose" are the spider gears, they have there limits but I am not sure of the HP limit. This could also happen...........

this is my 7.5 with the cracked cone, heck I am still running it :lol: :lol: Until I upgrade!
The cone is made of "Proprietary metal/material" that is softer then the mating surface, causing normal wear over a period of time, you can notice in the pic below, the "material" that is in the groove around the outer edge of the cone. ,,,Like Tommy said, frequent lube changes are recommended and the material is softer then all the other parts in the carrier and housing. The consistency of it is like a fine paste and like SSedan64 said, they are not rebuildable, BUT, the cone can be machined and reassembled using proper shims {as long as its not cracked} and it will prolong its life. I would say, Use it!
100_1085.jpg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts