Isolating Alternator for trunk mount battery

Badass442

Daily Driver
Apr 20, 2009
Badass442 said:
Doober said:
Showing off my mad paint skills...
mastercutoffswitch.jpg

Thanks for the pics and diagrams! It now shuts off when I turn the master switch. I was worried about "feedback" through the plug but not a problem!
Cheers!
Badass442

Just to clarify what I did in case anyone in future has the same question.

I installed my battery in the trunk and put a master kill switch in the rear bumper.

1) I have a remote solenoid mounted to the inner fender. I put the main power cable from the "energized" side of the remote solenoid to the starter solenoid and a "jumper" to energize the starter.(as illustrated on a previous post) The factory ignition starter wire is attached to the "s" on the remote solenoid.

2) I ran a "main power cable" from the "on" side of the rear mounted kill switch to my remote solenoid.I also attached to that terminal the other cables that would normally attach to the starter solenoid (wire from the fuse block and other wire)

3) I ran a separate wire from the "charge" side of the alternator to the back of the car and attached it to the "battery"side of the kill switch. This isolates it from the rest of the system so that when you turn the main to "off " the alternator cannot feed the system and keep the car running.

The mistake I originally made was using the factory wire from the "charge" side of the alternator because it is spliced in farther up with the wire that goes to the fuse block. Once I isolated the the charge wire to connect only to the battery side of the kill switch the car shut off when the main switch was turned!!

Hope this info helps someone!!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!