It's been a long time, but I'm back!!!!!

468malibu

Frequent Racer
Sep 13, 2003
Binghamton NY
I had a 78 Malibu with an alum headed 468 (hence the s/n) but didn't have the time, money, knowledge or tools to finish/tune it right. I sold the rolling chassis, then later sold the motor. I built a couple trucks, parting one out now, and was looking for another Malibu.

I found a 79 close to me, pretty clean 2 door for being in NYS. I think it's a pretty rare care, factory 4-speed, black interior w/buckets, power windows, locks, a/c, sport mirrors, power sunroof (second one I've seen in a Malibu!!) tach dash. Owner put in a 327 and a posi but doesn't know the ratio. Other than a busted windshield it runs and drives and pass inspection.

I'm sure the 327 runs great, but I'm a big block guy. I have two engines, one 427 tall deck and a 454. I know the '54 will drop right in, but what about the tall deck?? I don't plan on going crazy with the motor, bump the compression, 268 cam, intake and maybe a set of headers if I can find a set that will clear the clutch linkage. Don't plan on running tall valve covers, just the stock alum. off a 95-ish motor. If I can use the 427 with no fitment issues, thinking of making a 454 long rod, so I could use a stock 454 crank and stock style 454 pistons, using the 6.5" long rods. Got a set of 049s to use as well. Compression about 10-1. Motor should be around 400 horse and 500 ft/lb of torque.

Also was reading up on transmission's, thought the Super T-10 was the way to go, but guess not. Muncie's are stupid money, is there another option out there that won't cost me my first born??

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
The tall deck will drop right in aswell. You will need an intake for the tall deck block, you can use a longer rod to turn that 427 into a 496 plus going .060 over. You can make some really good power with it.
Someone with more knowledge on BBC will be able to explain in better detail.

468malibu

Frequent Racer
Sep 13, 2003
Binghamton NY
I'm still thinking of building the stroker, but wanted to be sure it would fit first. Pricing the pieces had only couple bucks difference. I got time yet, didnt even get the car yet, but its not going anywhere. Also want to concentrate on body and interior, drivetrain is the easy part.

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
If you are not building a big inch motor, stay away from the tall deck. It is not worth the hassle. The 454 will make as much power as the tall deck, and not have header issues, hood clearance issues or bracket issues. You can build a 489 out of the 454 block, all passenger accesories bolt up and you already know that companies make headers for the car. Finding them for a BB stick is hard enough. Forget about a BB stick that the heads are moved outward and upward.

468malibu

Frequent Racer
Sep 13, 2003
Binghamton NY
I wasn't gonna use headers in less absolutely had to. I have a set of stock manifolds and a set off an RV, looks like a shorty header. I have two complete sets of big block accessories, one of which was bolted on the tall deck. I don't have to run the tall deck. Ive been trying to sell that motor for close to two years and nothing. I could sell the 454 whole lot easier. Right now the motor isn't the problem it's getting a transmission to hold up to a big block. I really want to stay with a 4 speed, but kinda leaning towards a TKO-600 5 speed. Good for 600 lb/ft of torque so I should be OK. If headers are needed, then I would convert to hydro clutch.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts