ls project

HOTRODTWAN81

Sep 3, 2011
Whats going on guys? can anybody help out with some step to help prime the ls 5.3 motor , want to start it up but need to prime it ???

Roller406Bu

Frequent Racer
Sep 10, 2003
Elizabethtown Ky
HOTRODTWAN81 said:
Whats going on guys? can anybody help out with some step to help prime the ls 5.3 motor , want to start it up but need to prime it ???

All I did was pull the covers poor oil over everthing, then unplug the main harness to the coil packs and turn the motor over till I had pressure...

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
LS engines need to be pressure-primed. Go to LS1tech.com, and read about it. Someone makes a pressurized container to do this with, but I can't recall who. The above mentioned way will work in a pinch, but when my LS motor I just spent $3000 on comes back from the machine shop next week, you bet I'll be getting this pressure primer when the time comes. Then I'll unload it on eBay :D

sbmalibu

Frequent Racer
Oct 5, 2009
north judson indiana
Car craft did a story on how to build a pressurizer using a small block oil pump ,a 5 gallon bucket a drill and some A/N hose and fittings. But i have also heard of people just filling the whole motor up with oil and letting it sit for a couple hours. Think it took like 12 quarts or so. Not a fan of this idea but it might work....

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
Each time I've started my car after having it apart, I've poured a couple quarts through the knock sensor valley holes onto the cam and lifters, a little bit in the timing chain area, a quart or so on the rockers and springs, and the rest right into the fill cap. As long as you pull the injector relay and unplug both coil harnesses it will prime itself.

I think I've had to do this 2 or 3 times, lol damn cars

Beeterolds

Feb 27, 2012
If the motor is fresh from the machine shop I would look into pressure priming it.. But If your assembling it yourself you can almost skip this step without running the risk by coating everything generously with a lube like royal purples assembly lube or something equally sticky...

I had the pan off my junkyard motor and was replacing the pickup anyways.. after I got everything bolted back together I back fed 10w30 synthetic oil thru the oil pickup and spun the crank by hand with the motor upside down... As I spun it the oil was pulled into the motor and I kept filling until it would take anymore... I bolted everything back together... filled the oil filter to the top with oil..

I pulled all the plugs out to minimize the load on the bearings and crossed my fingers... cranked for about 5 secs and I had 50psi...

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
I just disconnected the ignition and cranked it until I got pressure with a mechanical gauge. My engine had some miles on it already so I'm not sure if this would be wise on new engine that hasn't had oil circulating through it.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!