LS1 gbody suspension

79CMC

Daily Driver
Mar 24, 2009
Hey guys
I'm new to this whole suspension thing, but I've got a stock 79 Monte that I've just swapped an LS1 into. With the new powerplant, I'd also like her handle better. She's going to be a daily driver, but I want to be able to smoke the ricers. What are ya'll using for suspension set ups? Right now I'm interested in springs and sway bars that yield a wicked stance, but I know upgrading the whole system will best, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

quickie70

Weekend Racer
Feb 20, 2008
Denver, CO
slapping springs and sway bars on worn out stuff is kind of asking for it. These things have a billion suspension setups for whatever you need, by a billion different guys. It's really a matter of
1) how much do you want to spend
2) how hard will you drive it

I've set my car up as a true multi purpose car. It'll go straight, make turns, and launch well. I've got some stock F41 sway bars, a set of 750 in/lb front and 350 in/lb rear springs (a little harsh for the street) and heavy valve street stock shocks from "pro shocks", rod end tie rods, and tubular upper arms from speedwaymotors.com this is all their circle track stuff, as IMCA "metric" chassis is our G body frame. All the stuff bolts right on. I've got tubular lowers with rod ends at the bushing side by tnt racecars, and adjustable upper and lower control arms for the rear from iceman. Body, engine, trans, and rear axle bushings are energy suspension poly.

This set-up may be too harsh for a street duty car. PST does sell complete front end kits for ~$400 if I remember, and you can add a good set of shocks pretty cheaply. Next would be springs, and eibach sells a good street set that lowers about 2" IIRC. You'll probably be in about $800, all said and done. And F41 bars work great, and you can find them pretty cheaply most of the time.

My setup is at about a grand right now (i still need wheels/tires), but it's cheaper than stuff made for the street, but I love sitting on the hood, and not having the front of the car even move! :)

79CMC

Daily Driver
Mar 24, 2009
Thanks for the response. The car will be strictly a daily driver/cruiser. No drag time, no street racing (unless the rice is really burning haha). I'd just like it to handle less like a boat. I've heard good things about the SC&C stage I kit (http://www.scandc.com/suspensions.htm) as well as eibach and bilstein. I'm still learning about the suspension basics, like the weight rating on the spring compared to the ride height, coil overs, and the mixing and matching of all the components. All I know is Tony_SS has one of the sickest stances for the third gens I've ever seen. Throwing the lighter LS1 into the mix also makes things a bit confusing, but thanks for giving me a place to start.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts