Mallory 685 ignition troubles

A

Anonymous

Well i put my ignition system in the other day. I had the mallory box hooked through the stock ignition module like in there diagram. I made there harness started the car up and it ran perfect but when i let off the gas for it to idle it would stall then pick up stall then pick up. So i called mallory and they told me to take the module out and use the magnetic pickup wires from the ignition box. So i finished that up yesterday started it up and it would idle very rough. Like it would go from 800 rpm all the way to 1600 then back down. I backed the car out of the garage and i could not get it back started again so i changed back to stock ignition and no trouble at all. Ran perfect and idled fine. Any ideas?

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
All I can say is that another fella I know had nothing but trouble trying to get one of those "6 Series" whoop-de-doo Mallory ignitions to work in his car.

Sounds like it oughta be simple enough, but I've seen and heard nothing but trouble from their ignition boxes.

Fine dual point distributors, and even the much maligned Unilite is better than most folks give credit for, but I think their ignition control boxes must have issues.

A

Anonymous

HURRAH!!!!Figured it out...On the magnetic pickup wires i hooked the + to - and - to + and for some weird reason it works. Ya i bought the Mallory box cause it had all the bells and whistles especially boost retard, which i know msd boxes are out there that do that as well. But it all seems to work.

n2oracer

Weekend Racer
Sep 19, 2003
Thomson, GA
We've ran that box in 3 different cars with no problems. All were used with nitrous also.

LWillmann

Weekend Racer
I ran the same box on my 96 Formula with their integration harness and never had any problems (even with the much maligned Optispark). I used it because I wanted the window switch and timing retard functions for nitrous use.

I may use one again in the future on my Cutlass.

KAB

Amateur Racer
Nov 30, 2005
jersey
i have used several 685 boxes, never any grief , i have even sold several to customers and they all have the same feedback
only reason i have a 6al in my car now is because it was laying in the garage and free , took it out of my brothers stang to put in a 685 ;)

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts