Need a fuel pump, recommendations?

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
I finally got around to rebuilding the Edelbrock 1407 and completed the electric choke conversion using the parts off the old 1406 I had. I got it on the car and now I am fairly certain that my pump is shot. Sounds pretty good but won't idle. I have an inline fuel pressure gauge, and it is showing 1-3 PSI at idle. The see-through filter barely has any fuel in it. So I think that answers that.

So, I would like to stay mechanical do to finances, but if someone could recommend a good electric that I can mount on the frame somewhere mid-frame, I wouldn't be opposed. Otherwise, I need to know what would be a good mechanical pump to use. Never purchased one before, so I don't know who makes a good one and who doesn't.

The engine is a 383 bored .040, marine 350 crate heads with no casting marks, said to be large valve. It will have a performer RPM high-rise intake and the said 1407 (750 cfm) sitting on top.

I am basically broke, investing most of my time and money back into our family business. Looking to stay under $100.

sevent1nomad

Daily Driver
Mar 28, 2010
tacoma,wa
70 z28 with a small block 400 that fuel pump is that application only but will serve the purpose that you need.Most auto parts stores carry them and they are not to spendy.Thats what I have on my truck and my wagon.From what I remember it puts out like 5-9 psi.My freind also had one on a 11 sec s10.

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
blu402mally said:
have you checked out jeg's or summit for prices ?

Yes, prices from $24-sky's the limit.

I will most likely order whatever I decide on from summit to try to score some more summit bucks.

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
sevent1nomad said:
70 z28 with a small block 400 that fuel pump is that application only but will serve the purpose that you need.Most auto parts stores carry them and they are not to spendy.Thats what I have on my truck and my wagon.From what I remember it puts out like 5-9 psi.My freind also had one on a 11 sec s10.

Thanks for the information.

Anyone else have an opinion in the matter?

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
Does anyone else have an opinion on the matter?

I know several people get one from work, so thought I would ask again.

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-EDL21/

its even on sale. any electric pump you buy for 100 bucks i wouldnt trust on my lawnmower.

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
slimbo5 said:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-EDL21/

its even on sale. any electric pump you buy for 100 bucks i wouldnt trust on my lawnmower.

That's what I was thinking slimbo. I even have the pump in the link you posted saved in my wish list on summit. I was just wondering about peoples different opinions. THANKS!

JBreu

Frequent Racer
Jan 31, 2010
Livonia. New York
I went with the eddy mechanical fuel pump-performer pump. No issues and it gets me the fuel I need....that's on a 514 hp sbc.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts