Need some 9" junk yard info....

Hooligans

Weekend Racer
Aug 28, 2011
Belfair, WA
So after finding that the 12 bolt truck axle was not the way to go... Im heading to the yard to find a 9". Now before anyone says it... yes I know it is probably easier and cheaper in the long run to get a pre fabbed rear but Im stubborn and like doing the work myself.

Now, I know there are plenty of bracket kits to get this in my 83' Elco. What are some good donor rears I can look for in a yard? Keep in mind we don't have any old Ford wagons or old EB Broncos here. Knowing that it will need to be narrowed, what will work? Truck, etc......

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
The 70's truck or van rears work best, they have the bigger tube diameter and they have the least amount of brackets to cut off. I've built one from a van and two from lincolns. The lincolns were brutal, they had lots of brackets. As far as the g-body brackets, no one makes a lower that works right (i use stockers that i cut off the original 7.5). And I use laser cut uppers and laser cut spring perches and strange engineering axle tube ends. I could sell you all the stuff if you want (except the lowers, you gotta find them yourself!)
brian

85monte_ss

Amateur Racer
Dec 18, 2008
washington mo
if you can find a lincoln versaillas rear axle they are the perfect width and they have disk brakes on them the only down fall it they are the small housing ends and only 28 spline but moser sell axles for them

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts