One wire alternator

MadMike

Dragway Regular
Mar 22, 2006
Jackson, Ohio
If using a 1 wire alternator you don't use the plug, etc. from the harness though correct?

malibumike

Frequent Racer
Oct 6, 2005
BANGOR ,PA
78maliburat said:
napa sells a 1 wire alt cheap 40 something
what is the part # thanks,mike

MadMike

Dragway Regular
Mar 22, 2006
Jackson, Ohio
Anyone got any pics? I still don't fully get it. We need a sticky! lol. I am trying to get rid of all the excess wires that I don't need in my engine bay. To the old alternator I have a small harness that plugged into the alternator and a wire that was bolted to the back of alternator. Do I just use the wire that was bolted to the back of the old one and bolt to back of new one and that's it? Or do I need to do that and run one to battery also?

TRAVIS

Amateur Racer
Feb 1, 2007
MORRISTOWN TN
On my car I cut the wires put the red wire coming out of the 2 pin connector and ran it to the battery/hot post on the back and just taped the white wire out of the way.I run an 8 soon to be 4 guage wire from the back to my remote starter solenoid. It works with no problems. Ive done quite a few of these now and never a problem.

"Do I just use the wire that was bolted to the back of the old one and bolt to back of new one and that's it? Or do I need to do that and run one to battery also"?

yes and yes ..just bolt up your old red wire to the back of the alternator man i read this post and i even got confused

TweaK

Frequent Racer
May 30, 2003
Champlin, MN
Im in the same process. I think its so confusing because its hard to think its that simple. Everything ive seen says all you need is a wire from the post on your alt to the positive side on the battery.

Its the other things that make my brain hurt. Like what about the battery light on my dash? Will that even work? Im very close to clipping the 3 wires that were hooked up to the old one. Either way i hooked it up straight from the battery to the alt and it seemed to be working. But without a volt gauge its hit or miss untill i drive it a bit.

TweaK

Frequent Racer
May 30, 2003
Champlin, MN
Also, whats up with the knock on the one wire setup? It seems very reasonable to have to hit 1800 RPM to get it fired up. One blip of the throttle and its on. I think its worth it just for how much cleaner and simpler it is. I guess its not for everyone though.

TweaK

Frequent Racer
May 30, 2003
Champlin, MN
I retract my previous statements.

Stick with a 3 wire, cus when your out of town, there isn't a parts store that knows how to find a one wire alt with a V belt pulley. lame_sign.gif

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
Re:

78_Elky said:
I know a lot of guys may disagree, but since I street drive my car EVERY DAY I kept the old wiring and run a one wire alternator but keep the other wires and plugs tucked back near the valve cover, because if the alternator ever goes bad I wanted to be able to get one fast and not have to searxh all over for a one wire one in a pinch. There are a lot of wires that could be removed. As for the heatqer if you re not using a heater then you can get rid of them, I mean its not the worst thing, they are really easy to remove without cutting them so if you ever want to go back you can. Like I said I have a daily driver so I try to keep things as close to universal as I can haha
-Josh
Sounds like a good plan.I would`nt cut any of my wires .

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts