Painting the car, tips?

81Malibu-4DR

Frequent Racer
May 2, 2010
Putnam CT
www.81malibu4dr.webs.com
So my 4dr is a very much budget build like no other if i can save 10cents on something i go for it.But anyways this year i wont have enough to get it painted. So i am trying to find something to use that wont rust it is a daily driver right now that's very cheap. Also have never used a spray gun am a master at spray can but never a real paint gun. Any tips on anything? Step by steps or good spray paint to use if it will hood against elements. Was thinking of rustOleum gray paint?

HOLY TERROR-BU

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2010
WATERBURY, CT
Go to a technical school and have the work done! Some will actually will paint ur car. Only downfall.. They're students! My assumption, u wouldnt care too much!! It's worth checking out that avenue...especially, if u don't have available funds TI have it professionally painted!!

81Malibu-4DR

Frequent Racer
May 2, 2010
Putnam CT
www.81malibu4dr.webs.com
I went to the tech school in my area and i wouldn't trust them with a bicycle haha, good idea though

HOLY TERROR-BU

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2010
WATERBURY, CT
Better get Maaco! I just had to say that!! LOL Seriously, I've done the spray can method, on my 88 Cutlass. It came out really good!! Then again, I have really good can control........

81Malibu-4DR

Frequent Racer
May 2, 2010
Putnam CT
www.81malibu4dr.webs.com
Haha i was thinking of them and i am good with a spray can just not a spray gun like the right way what kind of spray paint did you use?

bdazgmc

Daily Driver
Mar 13, 2011
Henderson,Kentucky
Stop in at your local paint supply store and talk with them about what you are wanting to do. Most of the time they will be able to guide you in the right direction. You do have a few choices other than rattle cans such as a sealer or a single stage enamel which are relatively cheap. If you have a gun and a compressor or have access to them then you could go with a single stage and be into color,hardner and thinner enough to paint the whole car for under 150 bucks and if all your wanting to do is keep the car from rusting up then just prep it and shoot it. A word of caution regular primer is not protection from the elements it is porous and the car will rust anyway and youve wasted that time and money.

81Malibu-4DR

Frequent Racer
May 2, 2010
Putnam CT
www.81malibu4dr.webs.com
Thats not a bad idea, but i have no experience or the knowledge of using a spray gun, would you have any recommendations on the kind of spray paint i could use?

HOLY TERROR-BU

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2010
WATERBURY, CT
If u really wanna use spray paint, rustos are fine.....provided you have the right tips (differently from the red or black stock cap that usually come on them) to allow a better spray pattern! I would still mask off unwanted areas that aren't supposed to b painted. Just because u go the spray can route, doesn't mean u do a quick sh*t job!!
Funny thing....I am actually going to Lincoln Technical Institute for autobody!! I wouldn't let allot of the "kids" in that school, touch my car!

HOLY TERROR-BU

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2010
WATERBURY, CT
All of what that guy, bdazgmc said, is true! Very good pointers in that message....

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts