pictures of my alky carb

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Almost looks like the same results you get from moisture in the fuel sitting in the carb...

Race fuel for 2.40/gal? I'd switch... As they say, if it's cheap & fast it isn't going to be good. If it's fast & good it isn't going to be cheap.

Tommy

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
looks like the inside of the lawnmower carbs we rebuild at work dealing with E10 after it's sat for 9 months. Good luck! They may be able to disassemble the carb and clean it in a ultrasonic bath. They work awesome, but I've never seen one big enough to fit that main body into. Sure they make them, just big $$$$

Malibu355

Pro Stocker
Feb 21, 2009
La Marque, Texas
well i took the car and a different carb to a carb builder today and he was able to tune it to the car. Then went to the track tonight to check it out, looks like I am going bracket racing tomorrow \:D/ . He also took a look at the carb in the pictures and said he could fix it. something about media blasting and tumbeling the parts the recoating them and adding a teflon coating inside to help with alcohol corrosion. all he said was it would just be a couple hundred bucks to take care of it.

malibuj

Dragway Regular
May 6, 2007
Lancaster PA
WOW I hope it works out for ya.... Just sux all that money in the new carb, just to end up lookin like that...

Hitman

Dragway Regular
Oct 15, 2004
OKC
You definately had something goin' on. Probably some moisture. I've never had an alky carb look like that. I use Rupert.

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
I don't think you can blame Pro Systems for that problem. They don't cast/manufacture the parts, rather purchase from an outside source which I assume is Holley.

I've have used Patrick since the mid 90's, probably longer than most here on the net (owning 4 carbs of his so far). He has always been quite helpful, so it's only fair to bring up the issue with him and see what he says and is willing to do.

Buddy of mine had a Holley 750 vacuum secondary he bought brand new. Ran it for one season bracket racing (gas) and took it apart to find the bowls VERY corroded. He called Holley and they admitted they had a batch that had problems with the aluminum/zinc and replaced it with a new one free of charge.

You gotta give the build a chance to provide you customer support before you fly off the handle and approach others for a fix.

At least that is how I would handle this situation.

barnym17

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2008
ohio
Holley definately did have some problems a while back.That being said when we ran alky on dirt what we did every night when done was fill the carb with gas to prevent this.We had a 3 way valve before the pump and one leg we simply put a rubber hose on and dropped the other end in a gallon gas can,turned the valve to the gas position and started the car.It would die when all the alky was out and the bowl filled with gas(went way rich).The next weekend the gas in the bowl made priming and the initial start easy.This was with a 2bbl by the way. With a drag car I would drain the bowls then fill with gas from a mustard bottle thru the vent tube then start it up when it dies from being to rich,refill the bowls from the bottle and your ready for next week. This has the benefit of coating all the carb parts with gas as well as the intake tract, valves cylinders etc. to help prevent corrosion.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts