Pinion yoke length question

Wile E

Dragway Regular
Aug 11, 2003
Central WISC
Years ago I had a 9" made for my Malibu, (never used it) It has a stock pumkin with 3.50's/trac-loc. Everything was gone thru and "freshend up". I was told my pinion yoke was the short one. Whats the difference in length between the short one and the others? Is the length difference enough that I need to be concerned with driveshaft length? This rear is going into my '78 Elky later this year. If I had the rear already installed in the Elky I'd just measure everything, meanwhile I'm trying to get a good guess on the proper driveshaft length and I don't know how much the pinion yoke length affects the overall length.
Not sure if this pic helps, but here it is:
notch005-1.jpg

wallyo

Daily Driver
Dec 20, 2009
Lake Havasu,AZ
I just finished a 9" swap into my 79 Elco.the driveshaft was about 1" too short with the SHORT pinion,so I ordered one off e-bay was only 30-40 dollars and was 1" longer.It actually uses the stock GM u-Joint end and all is good.seller was
(partsnstuffetc) on ebay.
you also can get from currie or any of the other 9" vendors

Attachments

• yoke.jpg
    yoke.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 625

Wile E

Dragway Regular
Aug 11, 2003
Central WISC
Thanks, I think that answers my question. Since I don't have the driveshaft yet, I think I might leave the pinion yoke as is and expext to go with a longer driveshaft.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts