pissin out power steering!

malibeast80

Daily Driver
Jan 27, 2008
sea town you beezy
well i have my 80 (came with 305) bu up in the air and im trying to replace the lower pitman shaft seal and im wondering if the arm has to come all the way off the shaft and the whole unit comes out the bottom or the shaft come out the top, the bottom nut is off along with the one on the top, what would be the best way of going about replacing the seal? i have snap ring pliers and a new seal kit just not trying to break anything or waste time fooling around with it.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Yes, the pitman arm comes completely off.

For a 605 box ("round top"):
Remove the pitman arm nut, the lock washer, pitman arm & shaft seal retaining ring. Start the car, turn the steering wheel fully left & right to force old seals & washer out (this is messy!). Lubricate the new seals with power steering fluid. Using a seal driver, install the new parts. The installation order is: oil seal, washer, dust seal, retaining ring, pitman arm, lock washer, nut. Torque the nut to 180 ft. lbs.

For an 800 box ("4 bolt top") the procedure is the same, but the installation order is:
single lip seal, washer, double lip seal, washer, retaining ring, pitman arm, lock washer, nut. Torque to 180 ft. lbs.

Tommy

malibeast80

Daily Driver
Jan 27, 2008
sea town you beezy
ok, well i have the big nut off of the shaft where the pitman arm meets and i took the other nutt in the back but i cant get the arm off, do i need a special kind of tool? i tried a crowbar and i still cant get it off

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
Yes, You need a pitman arm puller.

malibus~most~wanted

Dragway Regular
Apr 6, 2008
get that puller and an impact gun, i banged on mine for hours untill i remembered i had a gun, stuck it on there and 3 seconds later it poped right off

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts