Planning to upgrade rear suspension

bluemonte78

Amateur Racer
Aug 15, 2010
Ontario , Canada
I run the TRZ adjustable spring perch on the 12 bolt rear end that I had installed. Double adjustable upper and lower arms. Currently have cargo springs and stock KYB shocks( came on the car) . Looking to change ride height and better 60ft results.

Have been reading lots of good improvements for the rear I can do in my garage. First a 2.5'' coil over spring in the stock location,then going for afco DA's in the stock location. Not going coil over set up for the moment, no welder available. Is there a better option ??

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
A DA shock and separate spring combo will work just fine. From your signature though, you should be well out of the realm of needing something like an AFCO DA, not that it will hurt. What is it that's keeping your 60 foots up? Spinning? Engine laboring out of the hole? What's your front end setup like?

bluemonte78

Amateur Racer
Aug 15, 2010
Ontario , Canada
Spinning the tires was an issue , using flogged out slicks. Put some new Hoosiers on. Engine seems to be pulling well and the converter is a new super street fighter 3500/3800 stall. Front end is stock, weight transfer seems ok.

Front is kyb shock and probably the original oem springs with stock A arms. Plan is rear first then switch fronts out once I get 2-3 runs to baseline. Dont want to change too many things at once. Still trying to understand the rear geometry with adjustable uppers/lowers.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Your biggest hindrance is going to be that converter. Are the new slicks spinning as well, or are they dead hooking?

bluemonte78

Amateur Racer
Aug 15, 2010
Ontario , Canada
Slicks are new, no runs on them till tracks open. Why do you say converter stall will be the issue.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Heavy cars and small cubic inches don't tend to cooperate well with low stall street-type off the shelf converters. You may luck out though. I'd give it a shot on decent tires and see what it does.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts