sbc hydraulic roller cam for a/c??????

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
gmtofd said:
I use the stock solenoid that raises the rpms when the compressor is engaged. The solenoid should be used with whatever cam is used.

Me, too. I'm going to wire mine up with a switch that will allow me to bump up the idle without bringing on the A/C so I can use it for "high idle" when the engine is cold since my carb will not have a choke.

Tommy

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Are you using a stock solenoid or are you running a universal? I think I've only seen them on quadrajets.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I will be running efi (probably TBI to keep a carbed look) eventually, but with that I'll be able to set the desired rpm to whatever I want in the tune, along with controlling electric fans, etc.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
1981Regal said:
Are you using a stock solenoid or are you running a universal? I think I've only seen them on quadrajets.

I have the one that came on my GM LS6 replacement carb. It's actually for the factory idle stop setup...

Tommy

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
1981Regal said:
The zz series camshaft would have a step nose cam for roller blocks instead of a retrofit that does not.

Forgot about the step machined into the frt journal. At any rate, a 350 cid mtr with the zz4 series cam, ZZ4 heads, dual plane intake has sufficient power to tolerate the load of the compressor with the help of a solenoid.

Now days it may be difficult to locate a stock solenoid at the junk yard. OP, PM me and I'll look around for one in the basement, and yes would coming off a Q-Jet.

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
The Camshaft I mentioned is just a tad bigger than the lt4 hot cam. It should be fine with an idle solenoid to help idling while the compressor is engaged.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts