Solid Roller cams?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Gotta run some sort of pressurized lube lifters, a cam button or thrust plate & keep the specs reasonable so spring pressure isn't ridiculous. If you don't want to mess with special distributor gears, you can get either an austempered ductile iron core or a steel core with an iron gear. Remember to use a bronze tipped fuel pump pushrod for austempered cores with a high pressure/high volume fuel pump. Some guys will say to only use a steel core, some say it's OK with mild lobes & spring pressures. I have a Comp Cams XR280R with the austempered core, Comp Cams Endure-X lifters & Isky Tool Room springs. My engine builder says it will be just fine.

Tommy

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
i run a lunati voodoo solid roller in my bbc and i drive it on the street most weekends. .660 . 680 lift. It works great. I run a bronze msd gear with no problems.
brian

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
Smokes said:
So theres more involved with these cams then just cam/lifters?[ MAKE SURE YOU USE A BRONZE DISTRIBUTOR GEAR!Don't even do a warmup and put it in after!!!!! Other then that lots of bennies!!

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Malibuwagon80 said:
MAKE SURE YOU USE A BRONZE DISTRIBUTOR GEAR!Don't even do a warmup and put it in after!!!!! Other then that lots of bennies!!

Only on steel core cams. Austempered iron cams don't need exotic gears...

Tommy

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Go with the cam makers specs for springs. You aren't locked into that brand, just get springs with the same specs. More roller cams get wiped out by weak springs than ones that have high rates...

Tommy

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
I run a solid roller that's a billet core but has a cast gear pressed onto it. I run a melonized gear on the distributor and I've got about 2000 miles on it with zero wear. Use a good lifter and you will be fine. I run crower lifters and it's a big cost but worth it. I replace them every other season.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!