solid roller lifters mod???

brunz21

Amateur Racer
Jan 17, 2012
chicago, IL
so ive been thinking about laying a thin, shallow groove in the body of my solid roller lifters for better oiling to the roller wheel. basically my thoughts were that some guys cut a groove in the lifter bore to get (more) oil to the needle bearings on a solid roller lifter, so instead of doing that (since i dont want to take the whole motor apart) maybe i can cut a grove from the oil passage band down the top side of the lifter body so it can squirt directly onto the roller. Any thoughts from the engine guys on here? i havent had any problems so far, and ive only got street miles this year, but since im going to take the intake off for inspection over the winter, i figure this may be a good opportunity to do it. Ive got a BBC with a bullet solid roller and bullet lifters. i sent bullet an email awhile ago asking about this, but i never got a response. i figure the guys over there probably thought it was a joke and deleted it! i want more street survivability out of my lifters, or at least peace of mind when im driving it! Has anyone done this before? will it work? anyone ever have problems with the bullet lifters on the street?

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
I think some lifters are allready made that way. But i've got 3 summers of street and strip driving on a set of comp 818-16 BBC lifters with zero problems. Cam has .660 / ,680 lift so its fairly serious.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
prairiehotrodder said:
I think some lifters are allready made that way. But i've got 3 summers of street and strip driving on a set of comp 818-16 BBC lifters with zero problems. Cam has .660 / ,680 lift so its fairly serious.

You have Endure-X lifters. They're pressure lubed.

Personally, I wouldn't try to do anything to a lifter body to increase oil to the bearing unless you have a full machine shop & have experience performing the mod. You're either going to cause lifter bore damage from the groove or possibly create some sort of internal oil leak that may cause a reduction in pressure...

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!