Spherical rod ends vs. urethane vs. rubber bushings

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
How does everyone feel about using different types of bushings or rod ends in control arm bushings and/or other bushing locations for street use... The car will mostly only be driven on weekends, but I would like to be able to handle pretty well, but don't won't an extremely jarring tight ride with lots of vibrations... I also want to avoid binding as streets vary a lot in terrain, and I would like to improve quite a bit on the factory geometry... and also don't want to spend lots and lots of money... I know I kind of want everything, but I would like to know the different opinions on different types of configurations of bushings and small additions that can get the best bang for buck...

Glatt

Daily Driver
Nov 13, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
The best thing you can do is get rid of the factory rubber bushings. You can rule out spherical rod ends if you don't want jarring or vibration. From what you are describing a good set of aftermarket control arms with poly bushings will suite you just right. Or box the factory control arms and install poly bushings.

I have the relocation brackets for the upper control arms in my car. Have yet to test them out this season but they should help hugely with wheel hop.

Arthur

KEVINS

Amateur Racer
RegalLS said:
The best thing you can do is get rid of the factory rubber bushings. You can rule out spherical rod ends if you don't want jarring or vibration. From what you are describing a good set of aftermarket control arms with poly bushings will suite you just right. Or box the factory control arms and install poly bushings.

I have the relocation brackets for the upper control arms in my car. Have yet to test them out this season but they should help hugely with wheel hop.

Arthur
Ditto.
If it's a street car stay with polys.

ks

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Poly bushings will bind uop the rear suspension, period. They also eventually turn to mush. It's not cheap, but the Global West Delalum bushings & spherical bearings aren't jarring or harsh & have zero deflection, unlike rubber or poly. They can be installed into you stock front & rear suspension, so you're not locked into buying A-arms & rear 4 links just to tighten up the suspension slop.

Tommy

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
I would love for this car to be able to handle harsh driving if I threw it at it... but I want to be comfortable, relatively... so, for the street it wouldn't cause too much vibration and be overly stiff from the spherical bushings? From the research I've done, it seems that I can get spherical bushing suspension components for almost cheaper than poly setups... I would hate to get a bunch of sweet suspension components installed an then hate to drive my car... I know that vertical bumps are absorbed by the shocks and springs, but lateral forces seem like they would be more noticeable if your mounting points were fixed with no compressible material there...

Is there anyone out there who didn't like the ride after installing spherical ends or bushings?

For a true driver the following has worked for me and many customers:

Out back:
Boxed lowers with poly bushings
Stock upper (unboxed) with poly in one end and stock rubber ( Camaro are supposed to be stiffer?) in the other.

Out front:
Polys bushings set like pushrods, 1/4 past zero lash, held with a nylock nut.

I acually crank them down hard first with stock bolts, car loaded and level of course, the remove the stock bolt.

Turn the big washer up top by hand until the cinch nut hits or zero lash, then go 1/4 to1/2 turn.

On the bottom, more or less do the same except it get a nylock.

Everything is grade 8 1/2" if I recall. I do remember opening a few hole up since they were metric.

There is no play and they move like butta. :D

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
shotgun said:

Out back:
Stock upper (unboxed) with poly in one end and stock rubber ( Camaro are supposed to be stiffer?) in the other.

Out front:
Polys bushings set like pushrods, 1/4 past zero lash, held with a nylock nut.

How do you feel about Iceman's solid lowers for the rear? OR his double adjustable's for the lower rear? Would they be too stiff for street? Would the adjustable uppers with a rubber or poly bushing be a good idea without making it too rough?

James Bond

Dragway Regular
Dec 26, 2005
Earth
shotgun said:

Out back:

x2

but i don't really like poly. i think i'd see what else is out there. maybe just higher durameter rubber. :-k

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts