steering wheel sticky how to fix

PONTIACMAN3

Frequent Racer
Feb 14, 2007
Manville, NJ
Does anyone know how to clean a stock steering wheel when it starts to get sticky to the touch, my 78 lemans steering wheel is weird??????????????

JuniorJ

Frequent Racer
PONTIACMAN3 said:
Does anyone know how to clean a stock steering wheel when it starts to get sticky to the touch, my 78 lemans steering wheel is weird??????????????

Warm water and Dawn dish soap and a soft scrub brush.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Throw away your Armorall. That stuff kills interiors...

Tommy

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I don't know if it affects the wheel, but mine was the same way, I sprayed a liberal amount of carb/brake parts cleaner on a rag and rubbed it down real good. It was a stock steering wheel so I wasn't worried about it hurting it... seemed to do the job up until I replaced it.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I spent hours cleaning a sticky wheel, using all kinds of soaps, citrus, and brake cleaner. Not much would touch the stuff for a very long time. After I was satisfied, I put the wheel into a closet. After a year, the thing is as gooey as it ever was.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i've used ppg's h20 based cleaner and wet naps on DD works good.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
X2 on cleaning it and it comes right back :( I gave up and just replaced mine. All sorts of stuff will take the gunk off and make it feel and look great, but it will come back. Brake clean, carb cleaner, gojo, enamel reducer, nail polish remover, etc

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
I use Naptha or some other paint prep chemical. It cleans the wheel, without braking down the 30 year old plastic and rubber. But, yes, it needs to be done every so often... It's just the nature of the beast.....

When I find the right wheel, I'll replace mine.....

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts