Stock 9" How strong is it?

Brian79

Frequent Racer
Aug 21, 2008
Wataga, IL
Found a stock 9" out of a 79' Granada. I plan on redoing the mounts and putting it under my 79' BU. I have approx. 375-400hp,car is 3100 lbs with me and launched @ approx.3000

Is a stock 9" strong enough to handle this. The car is used on the track only. May sound like a dumb ? but want some opinions.

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
wow... I am surprised we have NO opinion on this one...???

If all your going to do is track time do not bother... Just get after market 9" center. I am sure there will be plenty of people supporting it stock... Just not me. I have seen the front bolts get blown right off and pinion shafts twist right off with mid cars and slicks. They have made great improvement in the aftermarket 9"

I can only think the 9" got its great following from it ease of swapping having the drop out center...but the actuallity of the pinion size and strength is minimal. I have seen 7.5 10 bolt take a crap load at the track too. and the pinion on that is bigger than a stock ford 9" ??? lol.

Again this will debated till the end of time, so if the price is right and you think it will do the job...go for it. If the rear is set with gears and posi etc and is ready to roll... then that sounds like a big sway to me. BUT if you have to spend another 500-750 on any parts to make it fit and beef it up look onward. Jim

just 2 cents worth

cutlass389

Frequent Racer
Feb 2, 2009
NC
I have no experience with the 9" whatsoever so I''l chime in like an expert. I've read that the stock grey iron pig can't handle more than 400 hp. Not sure if that's rw or fw but it's kept me from trying to do a dirtbag cheap 9" conversion. Plus many of them(stock) have 28 spline axles that have been cycled hundreds of thousands of times. It would kill me to go through the time and trouble of changing over and still be at risk of breaking something. Now in a perfect world....I keep watering my money tree but that sucker won't take root.

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :p :p

Good one. Jim

Brian79

Frequent Racer
Aug 21, 2008
Wataga, IL
Well dang it and I thought I had the answer. ](*,) :cry:

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
Please... It all depends on your power. All rears rebuilt correctly to specs should be find for the street, burn outs, etc. It is only when you start to do heavy track time that you will need to start worrying. If your getting a good deal and it fits with minimal extra money it just might work for you.

You just ran into a gaggle of die hard GM guys here. :)

Take care, Jim

Brian79

Frequent Racer
Aug 21, 2008
Wataga, IL
I guess I will just have to keep saving and get a new bolt in unit. I don't want to worry about it so I better just do it right.

kziggy1519

Daily Driver
Apr 18, 2009
stock axles will be the first to go. broke my stock ones on the street with street tires.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts