swapped trans/now high idle!!!

nowukno

Dragway Regular
Sep 26, 2004
s.california
Hey guys,looking for some help.I recently swapped out the th200 trans in my 79 2dr malibu to a th350 trans and now I have a problem with my car idling too high and a bit rougher It idled fine before the swap.It has me stumped.it has a carbed q-jet 4bbl 305 non computer non lock up vac hoses are all intact and in place and the throttle is alll the way closed (set screw on carb)I have the vac modulator hooked up to the back of the carb at a full manifold vac.source what could I be missing here?Any hgelp would be appreciated.

nowukno

Dragway Regular
Sep 26, 2004
s.california
SSedan64 said:
Vacuum line to Modulator leaking? Has to be something simple. Sounds like a small Vac leak.
I thought of that too but it had the idle problem before i hooked up the modulator line I wanted to check for leaks before I hooked up the modulator,Then I hooked up the modulator and there was no change in idle rpm.Im gonna rebuild my carb and then go from there,Thanks for the reply.appreciate it.

JohnBer

Daily Driver
Apr 24, 2010
for giggles check to make sure the secondaries on the q-jet are closing all the way. just went thru the weird high idle thing (acted just as you describe) and that's what it was. its a easy check any way.

nowukno

Dragway Regular
Sep 26, 2004
s.california
JohnBer said:
for giggles check to make sure the secondaries on the q-jet are closing all the way. just went thru the weird high idle thing (acted just as you describe) and that's what it was. its a easy check any way.
Thats what it was,car runs great now.put on a rebuilt q-jet.Thars wierd huh

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts