TH400 problem shifting

gbodystuff

Amateur Racer
Mar 30, 2009
Iowa
Okay, I have a TH400 that has two issues. The first is when I put the thing in reverse, it either acts like it's in neutral hardly wanting to move or it'll shake like crazy and gradually come out of it and go in reverse normally. Won't move in reverse in going up an incline backwards though no matter what....just stalls out. Then, 1 to 2 shift is normal but 2 to 3rd comes in way late and fairly high in the RPM range. If I slowly accelerate and hold it, the trans will shift but it is not noticeable at all when it does go into 3rd, then the second I try to step into it only a little, it acts like it downshifts back into 2nd. At freeway speeds, the constantly fluctuates between 2 and 3 gear. If I cruise around town, the best way I can get it to shift into 3rd is to just let out of it and it'll shift into 3rd, but not under a light load. The reverse issue is fairly recent and the lazy 2 to 3 shift is a new problem. It only happened after I really got into it getting on the freeway one night....it downshifted hard and quick and ever since then I have been dealing with what I think is a nearly shot 3rd gear clutch pack set, or so it seems. What else could be the issue? I've changed fluid twice and I have to admit the fluid looks bad and does have a slightly burnt smell but two fluid changes with a total of maybe 500 miles? I think the trans is on the way out myself.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts