TRZ Manual Rack, Worth it?

TRZ Motorsports

Frequent Racer
Nov 8, 2005
Orlando, FL
www.trzmotorsports.com
elcoholic said:
I've got a trz rack. to be honest, I wasn't impressed with the mounts at all. One of the mounts included a hose clamp! My first thought was....hose clamps are for hoses. Their mounts got tossed...and made my own....no hose clamp. Shy of that...I'm happy with the kit and it drives just fine. I also have 15 x 3.5's up front, so I'm sure that makes it easier to steer regardless of the steering components. And to answer the initial question....Yes, there was a significant difference from the weight of the factory steering components.

FYI, it's a T-bolt clamp... not a hose clamp. The same T-bolt clamps that hold on turbo piping and all. We have it that way because some people (not all) have VERY tight clearance between their oil pan and the rack making it so an aluminum bolt on clamp like some use would interfere. This clamp is the lowest profile clamp we could find to not interfere with oil pans, and it's strength is fine. I guarantee you won't find anyone who has ever broken our t-bolt clamp on their rack... because I've never had to sell just the clamp by itself.

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
TRZ, is there some reason why there cannot be a power rack and pinion setup for our cars? Why is a power rack apparently so different?

TRZ Motorsports

Frequent Racer
Nov 8, 2005
Orlando, FL
www.trzmotorsports.com
malicad said:
TRZ, is there some reason why there cannot be a power rack and pinion setup for our cars? Why is a power rack apparently so different?

Yes there is. In order to get the bump steer correct on the G-body, we have to use a narrowed version of a Pinto Rack. Not narrowed from the outside ends, but narrowed from the middle of the rack so that the tie rod pivot points are in line with the lower control arm pivot points. And nobody makes a power rack in this narrowed version. We've asked Flaming River if they could do it, and they said it'd be impossible in a power version to be narrowed like this. So we can't do it because of this, and we won't sell a rack thats incorrect because the bump steer is bad enough that an accident will eventually happen.

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
Got it. Thanks for explaining.

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
elcoholic said:
I've got a trz rack. to be honest, I wasn't impressed with the mounts at all. One of the mounts included a hose clamp! My first thought was....hose clamps are for hoses. Their mounts got tossed...and made my own....no hose clamp. Shy of that...I'm happy with the kit and it drives just fine. I also have 15 x 3.5's up front, so I'm sure that makes it easier to steer regardless of the steering components. And to answer the initial question....Yes, there was a significant difference from the weight of the factory steering components.

Not a hose clamp, rather a t-bolt clamp.

If you knew anything about them you would know they are what is used to hold the engine to the frame rails in front & rear engine dragsters, altereds and funny cars!

TRZ Motorsports

Frequent Racer
Nov 8, 2005
Orlando, FL
www.trzmotorsports.com
Thanks Todd!

TRZ Motorsports

Frequent Racer
Nov 8, 2005
Orlando, FL
www.trzmotorsports.com
Right around 35 - 38 lbs savings from the S10 box to our rack kit.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts