Vacuum Pump Question

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
blownbigblock said:
For those running vacuum pumps.Where is the best place to measure vacuum.I'm running F1r and now i'm tapped in at the top of the intake plenum.Thanks, Art

That's what I did. I had a 1/8" NT hole in the intake valley back by the distributor on the drivers side. Had a Autometer gauge plumbed into that location, gauge mounted inside the cowl hood scoop.

Doug Keen

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Central, Illinois
I removed the fuel pump block off and welded a bung on that, then ran a piece of tubing up to my map sensor for the data logger

blownbigblock

Frequent Racer
Dec 4, 2006
Traverse City,Michigan
The main reason I went with a vacuum pump was to seal up oil leaks.It has stopped pan & valve cover leaks but now when boost comes up it blows oil out of the remote breather.Right now I'm pulling about 10" at cruise speed.Anyone have any toughts.I don't think the shop rag that I have wrapped around the breather is the best solution. Thanks,Art

SS402

Weekend Racer
May 10, 2008
Lakeland, Florida
i just thought about it for a second and pondered the idea of tapping the floor of the intake manifold, if possible..there would be minimal oil splash in the valley and the vacuum would be centered on the crankcase theoretically allowing for even vacuum on both sides of the engine, if that makes any sense..seems ideal to me.

George

boyzbad

Top Fueler
Jul 28, 2004
Olathe, Ks
Re:

Robert1320 said:
talking with GZmotorsports he told me the front vertical flat is the best place, 2nd best was in the front breather hole but it may need a splash shield to avoid oil consumption if the fitting is placed right over the rockers

True.

From the V/C go to a Catch Can.
Catch Can to the Pump.
Pump to a filtered vent.

Great fitting
20061231153310_left.jpg

Does this eliminate trash getting in the pump?? I've seen vc to pump to catchcan/vent. <<<is that Ok or just not the best way?? Too bad I can't afford the Star electric one :(

SS402

Weekend Racer
May 10, 2008
Lakeland, Florida
Re:

BrianH323 said:
Is this on a steet car? What is everyone's opinion of having a vacuum pump on a car that is street driven alot? Is it going to wear out the pump fast?

Brian
unless your street racing (which i dont promote) there is no need for
vacuum pump on the street, unless your running power brakes with lotza duration.
vacuum pumps only help make power at high rpms where crankcase pressure becomes excessive...

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA and Philly Area
From moroso insturctions:
"Determine the Inlet from the instructions above and plumb a hose to the valve cover using a –12AN
fitting. DO NOT use a catch can between this hose to the valve cover.
Plumb the Outlet side of the Pump to a Breather Tank, such as Moroso p/n 85465."

SS402 said:
Does this eliminate trash getting in the pump?? I've seen vc to pump to catchcan/vent. <<<is that Ok or just not the best way?? Too bad I can't afford the Star electric one.

I am planning on using one of the -12 baffled fittings on the front of the valve cover.

Isn't it good to have some oil mist sucked up by the pump for lubrication, then it expels it into the catch can on the outlet side?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!