Vortec headers

Bob Alberding

Jun 9, 2020
Hey Guys, I have a 79 Malibu with a factory 4 speed. It has a 350 with a mild cam. I am thinking of putting a 383 crate motor with Vortec heads in it. Will my headers fit those Vortec heads. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Take care.
Bob

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Hi There,
I've not messed with a "Vortech" headed engine but if I'm not mistaken the exhaust port side is the same, it's the intake mounting bolt pattern that's different but not by much as I have a couple TPI manifolds that will fit either head style, Later, KillerDave

Vilanus

Daily Driver
Jun 2, 2019
Canada
Vortecs have square exhaust ports but all sbc headers will bolt up. And yes you need a vortec specific intake manifold. Jegs has a decent dual plane for 130$. Make sure you have a coolant bypass from the intake to the water pump IF you don't have a heater

Bob Alberding

Jun 9, 2020
Hey Vilanus, thanks for the info. The engine I'm looking at comes complete with intake manifold. Looks like a go on the swap. I will post updates. Thank you.
Bob

Vilanus

Daily Driver
Jun 2, 2019
Canada
I am using hooker blackheart 1 5/8 headers. They fit great and are fairly cheap. 200$ for mild steel or 300$ for stainless. Square port

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts