What body mods would you do to your car (if any)?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Narrowed/tucked bumpers.... not sure on chrome or monochromatic.

Painted/powdercoated trim/front trim

Paint to match handles (if a flush mount, full size 88-98 GM trucks are nice & rectangular)

Make room for wider wheels up front (8" is the widest without more backspacing, which would cause the wheel/tire to rub). Drop spindles move the tie rod end down into the wheel, so it would have to be stock or a different aftermarket spindle, and different/modified control arms.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
I narrowed, tucked, and raised the bumpers. Shaved the bumper bolts. Ground the stock door handles flat and painted them body color. That was a simple mod that didn't require any surgery to the door skins.

I still need to paint the bumpers, but I'm leaning away from the monochromatic look.

I painted the window frames, trim, and drip rail mouldings SEM trim black.

I also removed the rack and welded up the holes. Removed the header panel emblem and shaved it.
Welded up the mirror holes, and will be going with simple old school mirrors.

BTW, Foxbody Mustang mirrors would look cool on the car.

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
Jack, do you have an 80/81 header panel on the car? As I recall, 78/79 didn't have an ornament other than on the grille.

I always liked 69/72 Grand Prix handles....but they're getting hard to find and spendy when you do. Saw them on a 69 Camaro years ago, pretty unique

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Hi Brian,
Yes, the car now has an '81 header panel on it. I opted for a change of pace. I still have the '79 header panel. I think it will become garage art...or I'll sell it.

I'm trying to picture the '69-'72 GP door handles. :-k I'll do a search on the web.

Have you found another car? I think you were looking for a Malibu coupe, if i recall.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
Jack, you could always spray your bumpers an accent color with a semi gloss or flat clear if your not looking for the monochromatic look.or even single stage that's mixed semi or flat.i only suggest these ideas because for bumpers may take some abuse they are better than a spray bomb.something like a semi gloss black bumpers to match the trim black you did on your window,trim and moldings maybe.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Thanks Chris,
I was possibly thinking about a muted silver, or platinum/ champagne color for the bumpers. I would like a brushed stainless look, but unless I can achieve the look with paint, it ain't happening.
I thought if the silver/ platinum/ champagne color is too shiny, I can shoot some matt finish clear over them. I'm thinking a color that would be subtle and almost blend with the body color. Chrome would be nice, but it's not in the budget, unfortunately.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
Jack,check out Thomas' Brush-on Stainless Steel.and before you throw a flag it can be sprayed with a normal gun.take a look you can clear it too.looks pretty good.i like the muted silver, or platinum/ champagne color for the bumpers,nice job.I like a semi/70% gloss clear so it's not to shiny and you'd have to really look twice to see its not just dull chrome/platinum/ champagne.nice job

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Hey, thank you Chris.
That looks like some interesting stuff. Have you ever used it before, or know someone that has?
It looks like that might achieve the look that I'm after.
I've never heard of that product before until now.
A pint of base, and a pint of clearcoat should be more than enough to do two bumpers.
I wonder if spraying it on will give the same effect as brushing it on?

I will look into this more...and if I do go with it, I'll post some pics of the final results. :D

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i haven't used it,i heard of it at a bike shop i frequent but he hadn't used it either.he had just returned from a spectra chrome seminar. that's how we got on the subject of finishes that look like what we've been talking about.they do say you can brush it after spraying it.they do sell it in an aerosol version & they claim it's made with 100% stainless steel like the brush on version.it's a more satin - matte finish than the liquid, brush-on version.looking at it I'd do a spray out card first before with a different #of coats to see what looks rite.if you don't have enough the sealer will show through and not provide the necessary film build that products require- leading to product failure.that's another thing something like this I'd steer towards a light colored sealer like a white/light grey. anything darker might change the brightness of the finish.I'd see what they say about under coats/color under/ with it.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts